Nantucket Island finds

CHUDs

Feb 13, 2014
Santa Cruz, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel very fortunate this year! After missing my trip home last year, I was able to visit Nantucket for a few weeks this summer with my family. I took my 73 year old, visually impaired mother out and she found the point on the left. A few days later, my wife found the smaller broken base point and about 20 minutes later, I found the big, white point. The white one may have been in a fire and was definitely in the pond for a very long time. It was also the first point I was able to get a true in situ pic of and didn?t just snatch it up off the ground! Elsa had created pretty heavy swell in the pond and had likely thrown this onto the beach. I was stunned to say the least! And thrilled that my mother found her first and my wife found one! Great artifact hunting! Any info you?d like to share is always welcome! Thanks! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1627305921.649041.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1627305935.909522.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1627305954.181754.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1627306206.149440.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1627306223.766578.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1627306238.981245.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bet your Mom and wife were excited!

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations! You all enjoyed the thrill of the experience of the hunt.

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice NEW England grouping. The 1st small point appears to be a well used Stark Type from the Late Archaic period (6000 to 7000 BP). The dark material looks to be some type of Porphyritic Rhyolite.
The 2nd is a well polished Point that had to be tossed around in tide-shifting-sand for a long long time. It looks to fit nicely into the Atlantic Phase Type. In comparison to the matchbook, it falls within the smaller range for the type. I don?t see fire popping damage and wonder what clue lead you to say that it had been in a fire. Late to Transitional Archaic (5500 to 3000 BP)
I don?t recognize the material as something local or common if it is a solid creamy white. But the pictures are a little blurry and there could be dark specs or inclusions. If so, this would give you an ID for Wakefield ?Salt & Pepper? Rhyolite.
The 3rd one is difficult to Type. Is a small point and you could lump it in with Small Stemmed points or Tools as a possible ID for a coastal find. But the material is definitely Marblehead Rhyolite. A highly favored regional lithic.

JMO. Someone may add to or give a better opinion.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CHUDs

CHUDs

Feb 13, 2014
Santa Cruz, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MAMucker, thank you! Great info! I only thought the white one was in a fire because of my limited experience with chert tools on the West coast. When chert goes into a fire it gets a chalky look to it. Simply an ill informed guess is all. It has a light feel to it and I assumed it was a heavy patina.
As for the third point, I have found a nice Meadowwood point made from what I?m guessing is an imported chert in this same zone. Different material but similar look. without a base it?s tough to tell what it is. I?m making guesses.
Again, thanks for the info, it?s much appreciated!

Not sure why ? Is popping up instead of apostrophes....

Last edited:

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice recoveries..congratulations

Top Member Reactions