Mysterious countersunk holes

Andrew11

Jul 25, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I came across an interesting stone along a creek in Southern Oregon. The stone has 4 countersunk holes, 3 of which are intact. The holes appear to be spaced according to a pattern. There is also a beveled face that looks shaped with a tool. Has anyone encountered something similar or has a clear idea what the object was used for? Thank you. 20210725_160331.jpg 20210725_160402.jpg 20210725_160634.jpg

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well,I learned something today,never knew such a thing existed,filed away in the old colloid data bank!

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Personally I tend to lean towards some type of gorget. Holes look reed drilled and too perfectly spaced. Others with more hard stone experience will chime in soon.

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Lining from a brake pad. Holes were for rivets. Gorgets have biconical drilling.

Last edited:

Up-North

Nov 13, 2020
s.e. Minnesota’s driftless area
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure does look like a gorget..
Certainly the right material and shape.. I don’t have enough experience
With forgets.. to say with any certainty… definitely would have come home with me.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally I tend to lean towards some type of gorget. Holes look reed drilled and too perfectly spaced. Others with more hard stone experience will chime in soon.

You may be correct, dont know, the spacing does almost looked planned, but the holes dont look hand drilled when blown up.

Would like to see picture of broken side.

Last edited:

Missouri Breaks

Mar 21, 2021
CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fourth opening was either eroded/tumbled away naturally or if it was an anchor or fishing tool of some kind was damaged and somehow that edge was smoothed through use, or there was never a complete fourth hole. Those scenarios don’t preclude or indicate that it is an artifact, I’m simply trying to see some kind of clear story in the piece. Jewelry… pretty heavy I’d imagine but also not a definitive reason it couldn’t have been worn. The gorgets I’ve seen are thinner is all. The other three holes are evenly spaced but each one looks to worked slightly differently, whereas a detail like that on an adornment would usually be uniform. That’s all I got.

Last edited:

Relicgrubber

Silver Member
Nov 3, 2018
Deep East Texas
Detector(s) used
O.G. XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The counter sunk holes tell me that a metal insert went into those holes like Terry said.

OP
OP
A

Andrew11

Jul 25, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I appreciate all the help and ideas.
Unfortunately, I think I found a brake pad. Fortunately, you all have spared me the embarrassment of placing the brake pad on my hearth and believing it's an artifact.
The counter sunk holes tell me that a metal insert went into those holes like Terry said.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is it made of? And, wouldn't a brake pad be curved? Just throwing it out there because I can't recall ever seeing a flat brake pad.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Disk brake pads are flat but usually curved to the shape of the rotor. That would be a big one though. Maybe for a truck? I'm not up on my brake pads!

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Determine the material. If stone, it's not a brake pad...

Relicgrubber

Silver Member
Nov 3, 2018
Deep East Texas
Detector(s) used
O.G. XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you zoom in on the pictures you can easily see green fibers mixed in the material. Not stone.

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can we see a shot of the other side. Guys, not trying to start a fight but that does not look like a brake pad to me.( i've seen a few...:laughing7:) Most often, even the early ones of disc brake type had no holes in the friction part of the pad. The drum brake pads did to fasten to the metal shoe. Even on maximized pics I cannot identify the material it's made of. If you feel funny about displaying it as NA, I wouldn't call it a brake pad either. May be something else...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions