Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all. Got out with Chris today for one of our longest days. We returned to the very old town from last week and even went to a couple others. First target of the day was a buff. Second was an Indian. I was sure silver was around the corner, but not for me today. Closest I came was a plated spoon. I did manage another buff and 2 more Indians. It was just yesterday I commented on someone's thread that I had not found any IH's this year. I found a small, heavy little 2 piece button that I can't make the back mark out on. Also my very first tombac button. If someone knows a date, I would be grateful. Crotal, wheats, bling and big pile of clad rounded out the day. Was a lot of fun today!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1431740869.304408.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1431740955.049996.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1431741027.636198.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1431741089.719378.jpg

Upvote 20

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like Indians! If you're digging nickels you're doing something right. Tony

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
we had a blast today!, you had your own tribe going there!

great finds, that button is awesome!

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good day with the IH's and buffalo's!!

Those Crotal bells would have been enough for me.

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice IH's. I've been pulling a bunch of nickels lately but have yet to even get a single Buffalo. My oldest is a '43.

Nepa-Will

Nov 15, 2014
Northeast, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
XP Deus + 9" Coil
XP MI-6 Pinpointer,
XP WS4 Wireless Headphones,
XP Remote
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice variety of digs! Like I said to Cjon. It's always the bell for me WTG!

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like Indians! If you're digging nickels you're doing something right. Tony

Tony, you wouldn't believe the nickel signals I have dug this year. Wish I had a pic of all the pulltabs as proof lol.

we had a blast today!, you had your own tribe going there!
great finds, that button is awesome!

Yeah it definitely was fun. If laughter really is the best medicine, we added a little time to our lives today. I think I can barely make out some machine marks on the back of that button. Looks like they are in groups of 3 though. Odd.

Good day with the IH's and buffalo's!!

Those Crotal bells would have been enough for me.

Chris and I got matching ones at the same 1880 farm house. The very old fellow that lived there didn't know what they were. Said it was from before his time lol.

Nice IH's. I've been pulling a bunch of nickels lately but have yet to even get a single Buffalo. My oldest is a '43.

I think I have dug more Buffaloes this year than the last 2 years together. I would be very happy with a '43 lol.

Nice variety of digs! Like I said to Cjon. It's always the bell for me WTG!

This one still rings too Will. It's the smallest I think I have found yet.

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Romeo. Isn't this one the latter type though? Mid 1800's?

Not sure...I've only ever attributed them to the earlier period...I thought they went out of popular use prior to the 1800s...

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure...I've only ever attributed them to the earlier period...I thought they went out of popular use prior to the 1800s...

Thank you. IP would probably tell me it is another reenactment lol!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tombacs go back as far as the 17th century but we're mass produced in the latter part of the 18th century. Some stretch into the early 19th century. I would guess yours is very late 18th or early 19th century. Nice early find for your area. I love the indian heads

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good hunt OD!!! Nice coins. WTG, Q.

Thank you Mr Q! I would trade any of it ( with the exception of the Tombac because it's my first ) for your " every day ordinary " CW relics!

Nice digs.
Thanks IDI

Tombacs go back as far as the 17th century but we're mass produced in the latter part of the 18th century. Some stretch into the early 19th century. I would guess yours is very late 18th or early 19th century. Nice early find for your area. I love the indian heads

If you look very closely at the attachment of the shank, I believe this is the younger version of a Tombac. When I first saw the shining round object in the hole, I thought maybe I had an early silver. Hard to say which would have been the better find for me lol.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the day didn't quite go like we had hoped but all in all I think we both had a pretty good day, I would've liked to spend more time at the site of the old church, but that's our luck I guess lol

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice huntin' Dude. I bet you thought that tombac was another nickel as I'm sure the reading was very similar. That's a nice example too as the larger ones always seem to be missing the shank.

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the day didn't quite go like we had hoped but all in all I think we both had a pretty good day, I would've liked to spend more time at the site of the old church, but that's our luck I guess lol

Hey, it was fun! I am really disappointed we didn't get a return invitation at the old church site too. Our time constraint just wouldn't let us hunt it like we normally would, but it is what it is. We both made some good finds there in anyone's book.

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice huntin' Dude. I bet you thought that tombac was another nickel as I'm sure the reading was very similar. That's a nice example too as the larger ones always seem to be missing the shank.

Thanks for that info Bill! It could have been missing the shank and I still would have liked it since it is the first I have found. I never would have known what it was if not for the wealth of info you and others always share with us here. It is much appreciated.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread