Native American Marbles

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From Coastal SC
The marbles are purported to be 1200 years old.
The discs I have authenticated.
The marbles I'm not so knowledgeable about.
Are they Native American?
Are they from that period?

N A MABLES.jpg

Upvote 0
Nice. I have about a dozen marbles similar to yours I found decades ago. I've never gotten a definite answer as to whether they are NA or historic. Maybe someone will chime in.

Thanks.
I'm hoping to buy them.

Go to collectors forum under Marble there is a Member who Ids just about everymarble posted he is awesome I bet he could help I know some marbles can bring some good cash......,.Tommy

I don't know of any being found in a prehistoric context.

Me either. Some of first ones came over with the early settlers, but after the Clay Pipe factories sprang up they also produced clay marbles. I had one old home site where we found a lot of these old marbles right along with crockery, square nails, early 1800's coins, etc. I gave most of mine away to a young lady at a show because she collected them and had a fine collection of them and Pipes from one site in West Virgina.

Clay marbles just like those were very common from the 1840's thru 1920's. We have personally dug hundreds of them from privy pits of that era while digging for old bottles. The ceramic shards in circular form are interesting, and make me wonder if they were originally made that way, or modified later after the ceramic vessels were broken ?

I'm not finding the account of Europeans here using a hole in rock with running water going through it (along a stream ect.) and adding crudely round stones to tumble/swirl around in the hole to round them better. And don't recall where they learned the method. (Just in case the o.p.'s pics are of stone , vs clay marbles.)
Understood the context of your area vs Chippewa will likely vary , but there is an account of a type of flattish marble and game in this books link . Down a ways on the page.
https://books.google.com/books?id=Z...M0KHQVdC9kQ6AEwEHoECAoQAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back