What's new

Native American Trade Bead?

washingtonian

Gold Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2005
Messages
6,509
Reaction score
12,900
Golden Thread
0
Location
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Hey all! I found this green, glass bead on the surface of a beach today in the vicinity of a historical, documented, Native American community. It’s all modern homes now.

I know other Native American relics have been found in the area. What do you think? Could it be an 1800s glass trade bead or do you think it’s more modern?

Adjustments.webp
Adjustments.webp
 
I'm not familiar with that bead.
It looks mandrel wound. Could have a very light clay/chalky looking center/inside so it didn't stick to the wire.
Here's an African bead that is similar. Not saying yours is African sourced.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/803648...MInuLm7PmR6gIV0sDACh3NpgJBEAQYBCABEgIBzvD_BwE

You could search for Verano and Venetian glass beads...But there were other sources too.
Some made on this continent even.https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-1996-09-13-1996257120-story.html

Careful though , it can be a rabbit hole chasing beads...From Dutch , to Russian, to Italian , to made here.
More so where did colonial America get it's glass makers from? And it's bead makers?
Glassworks were a protected craft in Italy...
Somewhere is a statement written long ago suggesting something to the effect that those making beads here need to not make them too plentiful and thereby devaluing them.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Great reference information provided by releventchair above. :thumbsup:

I've found a few of glass and clay beads on old homestead sites over the years.
The main concern I have with your find is the amount of wear/damage it's received from the wave action and the rocks.

It may very well be Native American, it may also be Edwardian or Deco Period Jewelry related. :icon_scratch:

The first pic is an Edwardian necklace, the second pic is of 20thc Chinese-made glass beads.
Dave
 

Attachments

  • antique-edwardian-brass-filigree-jade_1_265369f5dadf2fe4d7817dd3fe621fb1.webp
    antique-edwardian-brass-filigree-jade_1_265369f5dadf2fe4d7817dd3fe621fb1.webp
    22.2 KB · Views: 67
  • unnamed.webp
    unnamed.webp
    17.8 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Great reference information provided by releventchair above. :thumbsup:

I've found a few of glass and clay beads on old homestead sites over the years.
The main concern I have with your find is the amount of wear/damage it's received from the wave action and the rocks.

It may very well be Native American, it may also be Edwardian or Deco Period Jewelry related. :icon_scratch:

The first pic is an Edwardian necklace, the second pic is of 20thc Chinese-made glass beads.
Dave

Wow, that’s so interesting. There were also Chinese laborer settlements not far from the area I was in all the way back to the 1870s/80s. I didn’t consider that it could be from there either. Wow!
 
Upvote 0
Great find. If there was a Chinese worker settlement in the area it might be of interest to detect in that area (if the current property owners will allow that). China at that time was still under a monarch rule so any artifacts brought by the Chinese workers would be interesting to see. Maybe local museums may have some interesting artifacts from Chinese works from that time. Thanks for the post.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom