KyhomeAllen1.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 663

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
I lived in Hubert for close to 15 years and will be heading back for a visit and to do a little digging this Summer!! Hope to meet up with a few others there. When I first started detecting in NC in 1983, didn't meet or see anyone who detected other than an old Marine Gunner who found a couple gold coins on Camp LeJeune. Would be a treat to finally hunt there other than by myself!!

Ron P

Apr 14, 2009
Cary, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
I'm in Cary. I recently purchased a dectector and just started MDing, anyone in the area looking for a partner to hunt with?

Ron

Ron P

Apr 14, 2009
Cary, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Hello MM,

I read a number of your impressive postings, it appears you are the Maestro of metal detecting. I read the thread about the club, I'm interested but this weekend is committed, I've got to get my gear ready for next weeks D-Day Jump at Ft Bragg. 54 yrs old and still jumping out of airplanes! Long adventure stories best told over coffee. I should be retiring out of the Army Reserves next year if I don't get deployed again, so I took up MDing to fill my future free weekends. Sold the idea to my wife that I would find her gold jewelry, "yea right!" I bought a used Bounty Hunter - Sharpshooter. Seems to work OK, my total finds are 72 cents from Regency Park. It appears I may do better with my eyes; I found a WW II pinapple grenade in Germany in 1984 (still dangerous and properly disposed), a 1943-S Merk at Ft Bragg 3 years ago and a Roman Provincial copper coin on a dirt road in Mosul, Irag in 2006. I'm still figuring the detector out but I have been getting a lot of false signals, it seems mostly around reddish clay which may hold ferric mineral but sometimes in sandy soil too. I have been digging mostly aluminum and iron trash. But I have a concern because I have gone over copper wire on the surface without getting a signal.

I'm down on the south side of Town off 1010, If you have time, I could use some pointers. Send me a PM

Thanks, Ron

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ron P said:
Hello MM,

I read a number of your impressive postings, it appears you are the Maestro of metal detecting. I read the thread about the club, I'm interested but this weekend is committed, I've got to get my gear ready for next weeks D-Day Jump at Ft Bragg. 54 yrs old and still jumping out of airplanes! Long adventure stories best told over coffee. I should be retiring out of the Army Reserves next year if I don't get deployed again, so I took up MDing to fill my future free weekends. Sold the idea to my wife that I would find her gold jewelry, "yea right!" I bought a used Bounty Hunter - Sharpshooter. Seems to work OK, my total finds are 72 cents from Regency Park. It appears I may do better with my eyes; I found a WW II pinapple grenade in Germany in 1984 (still dangerous and properly disposed), a 1943-S Merk at Ft Bragg 3 years ago and a Roman Provincial copper coin on a dirt road in Mosul, Irag in 2006. I'm still figuring the detector out but I have been getting a lot of false signals, it seems mostly around reddish clay which may hold ferric mineral but sometimes in sandy soil too. I have been digging mostly aluminum and iron trash. But I have a concern because I have gone over copper wire on the surface without getting a signal.

I'm down on the south side of Town off 1010, If you have time, I could use some pointers. Send me a PM

Thanks, Ron

Welcome! I live in Goldsboro presently, former 11 yrs active AF, present DOD Civ at Seymour Johnson. I have been detecting since about 1977 as a teenager. I lived close to 1010 back in the early 90's, off of Sauls and Pagan Rds. Small world. I hope you get some more experience with your detector OK. Detecting is the best hobby. When you mentioned the pineapple grenade, I thought back to when I was stationed on Guam in 83-85. A buddy and I were detecting in the jungle and he found a pineapple grenade without the pin and arm, which I found minutes later. Good times. Take care my friend, Bryan

Ron P

Apr 14, 2009
Cary, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Welcome! I live in Goldsboro presently, former 11 yrs active AF, present DOD Civ at Seymour Johnson. I have been detecting since about 1977 as a teenager. I lived close to 1010 back in the early 90's, off of Sauls and Pagan Rds. Small world. I hope you get some more experience with your detector OK. Detecting is the best hobby. When you mentioned the pineapple grenade, I thought back to when I was stationed on Guam in 83-85. A buddy and I were detecting in the jungle and he found a pineapple grenade without the pin and arm, which I found minutes later. Good times. Take care my friend, Bryan
[/quote]

Bryan, Thanks for the greeting. I'm looking forward to discovering some great finds out there.

Thanks, Ron

dsink

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2009
Hi all! Just wonted to introduce myself. I live in between Winston Salem & Lexington and have had a metal detector for about 7 years (BH Sharp shooter II) but have been to busy to use it much but I have gotten bitten by the bug bigtime and have started hunting with it again. Havent found much yeat becouse I am still learning but maybe one day I will find something good. I found this site and it is great, packed fulll of good info.

I am open to any help or pointers any would like to offer.

Thanks

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jack(IN) said:
I lived in Hubert for close to 15 years and will be heading back for a visit and to do a little digging this Summer!! Hope to meet up with a few others there. When I first started detecting in NC in 1983, didn't meet or see anyone who detected other than an old Marine Gunner who found a couple gold coins on Camp LeJeune. Would be a treat to finally hunt there other than by myself!!

I go on vacation to Lejeune each summer. Man, I would love to know where he found GOLD coins on Lejeune. The land has a ton of history on it I know. I usually detect Onslow Beach, I have found a ring each of the last 3 trips to Onslow Beach, a Triton Titanium and 2 gold rings. Great place to visit. Bryan

outlaws

Jun 7, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Whites/Minelab
Charlotte here. I don't detect that often around because I don't have detecting buddies so my swinging time is limited to the beach on vacation.

Butch

4seasons

Apr 14, 2009
Hi Fellow THers,
Wishing to introduce my self to the forum also. New to this site. Been MDing 20yrs. havent done much in the last couple years except an occsasional beach trip. Getting the bug again. Once you get this THing disease you never loose it, may go into remission sometimes but always comes back and I'm glad.
Lewisville,N.C.

coinwolf

Aug 28, 2009
NC. Skeeter Country
Just ordered my first detector 3 days ago looking to started swinging! Live in Greene county (Next to pitt and lenoir county). Hunted arrow heads for a while and love to coin roll hunt for silver!

beep-beep

Jan 14, 2010
North Carolina , Bertie
Detector(s) used
BH-Quick Silver,Ace 250,BH pinpointer and the DetectorPRO Pistol PROBE
windsor nc
Just got BH Quick Silver with the little pinpointer and finding some stuff here and there. Will have the New DetectorPRO Pistol PROBE in a few days.

Hank

Oct 25, 2004
Charlotte,NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, BH, Tesoro, et al
Charlotte here

I'm a beach hunter, heading to Florida treasure coast in a few days. No concrete plans, no time limits.
Anyone wants to join me, send PM....or call 702-215-9338. You'll need sleeping accommodations...I use my van.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions