What's new

NC Palmer perhaps? Need help on material

the_mad_cladder

Hero Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2015
Messages
848
Reaction score
2,381
Golden Thread
0
Location
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My luck the first day I get free for a rock hunt the weather goes to snot. Fields need another good rain or two and it's gonna really pic up. My buddy found the bottom of a hardaway and I picked up this gem. Can anyone help me out with the material? The flaking is awesome. IMG_20170303_131348.webpIMG_20170303_131359.webp
 
Upvote 0
Definate Palmer. Where in NC are you? Near the Mountains? Points that age and older I see more Silicified Shale and Rhyolite. Your material looks more glossy than those. Looks like Coshocton Chert that is found more west of the mountains. That being said I have found points in central NC made of material 2 or 3 states away. There is a glossy Bluish grey chert yours looks a lot like and for the life of me I can't remember the name of it. Maybe someone else here knows.
 
Last edited:
I'm in middle NC....More north. I find flakes of very similar materials from time to time but never a whole point. Definitely not the typical material. It looks good in the shadow box.
 
That is one fine lil' point. What a great find!
 
Now that's a little beauty and yes a Palmer similar to the one in my avatar. The archy here told me it's a transitional Paleo Archaic point. Is it gray or black? The archy also said the black flint is not native to NC but came from east TN. Congrats on a great find!
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom