πŸ† HONORABLE MENTION Nearly 70 years, GOLD RING RETURNED!

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found and posted this ring a few weeks ago, and last night I was informed the lady received her ring. Not technically "today's find" for me, but certainly for her!

I'll do a quick recap-

I was walking across the golf course to get to a spot further out that was used as a shooting range circa 1900. On my trek, I heard a solid 52, dug down a few inches and out came this ring: ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1498668349.555507.jpg

I was thrilled, I don't really find gold very often. I noticed there was a 10k mark inside, along with the initials PAS. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1498668876.781659.jpg

Beaming, I continued to the intended spot and dug a Barber quarter along with a big hunk of iron (can see it above the quarter). Dug a few more holes but no other good finds.

Later that evening I was speaking to an older friend of mine named Bud, he is always interested in hearing of my latest finds. I showed him a pic of the ring, and he mentioned that his sister's initials were PAS before she was married, and she graduated high school in 1947. When I got home I checked the school records and sure enough, only one match, and it was his sister named Patricia! I saw him the next day, he had called his sister and yes she remembered losing the ring in 1948. She was golfing, took the ring off and SET IT ON THE GROUND while she took her shot, then couldn't find it afterwards. That was 69 years ago, and she is 88 years old! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1498669359.914733.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1498669382.343384.jpg

I wasn't able to make the 10 hour drive down to where she lives, so I got her address from Bud. I took the ring to a jewelry store to have it straightened for her as it was slightly bent. When the jeweller heard the story she did not charge me for the straightening. I wrote a letter, included pics of the ring as I found it in the dirt, a wide shot of the course with an arrow to the direct spot, and a few other pics. I put the ring in the package and sent it off.

Last night I saw my friend Bud and he told me she just received my package, was blown away by having her ring back, and was delighted that it still fit!

I included my contact information in the letter, and mentioned that the only reward I would like is a picture of her with the ring if she would be so kind. I was told that she is having a relative visit soon, and that relative may be able to take some pics and text/email to me. I will post one if I get one.

I was so pleased to find and be able to return this ring to its original 88 year old owner after nearly 7 decades.

Thanks for looking and good luck out there

Junkironkid

Mar 23, 2012
MS
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Karma coming to you. World needs more folks like you.

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome story and such an honorable thing you've done for Patricia!
Inspires me to dig more of the mid range targets! Did you find it with your AT Pro?

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn man.... I knew I like you for some reason. That's so cool buddy. Great job

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome story and such an honorable thing you've done for Patricia!
Inspires me to dig more of the mid range targets! Did you find it with your AT Pro?

Thanks, and yes those midrange targets are worth digging. I was using my XP Deus in full tones

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn man.... I knew I like you for some reason. That's so cool buddy. Great job

Thanks dude, the story and surprising her after all these years is worth way more to me than a chunk of gold sitting in my goody box.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome man! Great job! I agree on Karma.

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is so awesome! She is 88 years old!

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, my first thought was that I want to print out your post and frame it. Right after I re-read the story a time or two. IMO you've reached the pinnacle of metal detecting with this recovery and ensuing reunion after 69 years. I can't think of a find that would make me happier. Good for you. Now I'm going to read the post again.....

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Totally made my day, I love your story and thanks for sharing it. This is a once in a lifetime find and return that will stay with you forever.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread