Need a little help on this one!

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had some friends over this past weekend and they spotted this bottle on my shelf. They asked me about it, and all I could tell them was a good friend of mine gave it to me when he moved back here from the Virgin Islands in 2001. He is a diver, and found it at the bottom of Saint Thomas bay. He told me that when the cruise ships came and went, they would move a lot of sand around. Anyways, the glass is olive colored and has a mold seam on the shoulder. 005.JPG 006.JPG 007.JPG 008.JPG

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out of curiosity, where the side seams come up to the shoulder, is there a horizontal seam that runs the circumference of the bottle?

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

OP
OP
flatbutton

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out of curiosity, where the side seams come up to the shoulder, is there a horizontal seam that runs the circumference of the bottle?

It does, just below the shoulder and a seam on each side of the shoulder. There doesn't appear to be a seam on the body or the neck.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree with Harry, circa 1880, and likely an English ale bottle. Probably heavy, these were made thick. Thanks for showing us

OP
OP
flatbutton

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the help guys!

webby

May 18, 2013
Uranus
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Sure. I'm not going to go in depth on the history of St Thomas but basically Charlotte Amalie was tore up from the floor up by a hurricane and two weeks later by a tsunami in 1867. It left hundreds of shipwrecks in the harbor along with one of the more famous wrecks, the wreck of the Rhone, in the BVI's. I've personally found the same bottle on verified wrecks from these storms within the harbor.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, was there no activity in this area after 1867? Void of mankind?

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess you lost me somewhere. Just trying to understand why you feel the bottle in question had to be made before 1867?

webby

May 18, 2013
Uranus
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'm not saying it had to be made prior to 1867 but that there's a good chance it was due to sheer volume of wrecks we had at that time and the fact that I've found that exact bottle on verified wrecks of those storms. Is there a possibility the bottle could be of a later date? Of course, but all I can tell you that it can be found as early as 1867 here in St Thomas. I'm not saying that this style of bottle died out with these storms.

There's not a lot of things on TN that I can identify or date, but I thought I'd try to contribute because I have some local knowledge of where that bottle came from and am diving the island quite often. I'll make sure to keep to myself from now on.

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not saying it had to be made prior to 1867 but that there's a good chance it was due to sheer volume of wrecks we had at that time and the fact that I've found that exact bottle on verified wrecks of those storms. Is there a possibility the bottle could be of a later date? Of course, but all I can tell you that it can be found as early as 1867 here in St Thomas. I'm not saying that this style of bottle died out with these storms.

There's not a lot of things on TN that I can identify or date, but I thought I'd try to contribute because I have some local knowledge of where that bottle came from and am diving the island quite often. I'll make sure to keep to myself from now on.
Makes perfect sense to me ... Except the part about keeping to yourself... You obviously had something to contribute to the conversation! :notworthy:

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey man i'm not policing you by any means. I was just trying to understand why you felt it was made pryor to 1867. By all means, hang out here, join the crowd and have a good time. All opinions and ideas are welcome. ...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread