What's new

Need a little help

darryl

Full Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2012
Messages
150
Reaction score
21
Golden Thread
0
It's close to 1 1/2 inches across and 1/2 inch thick- found in pearl river county mississippi .

image-1868102639.webp
 

Attachments

  • image-1393216794.webp
    image-1393216794.webp
    57.9 KB · Views: 91
  • image-2283965340.webp
    image-2283965340.webp
    33 KB · Views: 89
Upvote 0
Darryl - I'm assuming from the picture that it's wood?
 
Twitch said:
Darryl - I'm assuming from the picture that it's wood?

No it's stone- it was worked a lot - many lines from some sort of tool- I'm thinking discoidal
 
biscuit discoidal.....:icon_thumright:
 
SOHIO said:
biscuit discoidal.....:icon_thumright:

Thanks SOHIO - whatcha think about all the fine lines in it
 
Well...I dont know too much about discoidals but from what i remember reading about them before is that we cant explain exactly what they were but to most they are viewed as game pcs the scratches could indicate use in gameplay as it was scooted around a surface or etc.....just a wild guess though and not a very good one ...those lines are very interesting.
 
I'm thinking a bead preform due to its size, before the drilling. The incised lines looks like they were trying to reduce its size. Discoidals are usually larger in size as well another reason i do not believe this is one. However it is a very nice find....Good eye!!.......................GTP(Chris)
 
Last edited:
Get-the-point said:
I'm thinking a bead preform due to its size, before the drilling....Nice find...........................GTP(Chris)

Get the Point that's an interesting thought- that never passed my mind- thanks for your input appreciate
 
SOHIO said:
Well...I dont know too much about discoidals but from what i remember reading about them before is that we cant explain exactly what they were but to most they are viewed as game pcs the scratches could indicate use in gameplay as it was scooted around a surface or etc.....just a wild guess though and not a very good one ...those lines are very interesting.

Yep the lines have me scratching my head-thanks SOHIO
 
I added to my reply giving more logic behind it. Hope it helps..........................GTP(Chris)
 
I'm thinking a bead preform due to its size, before the drilling. The incised lines looks like they were trying to reduce its size. Discoidals are usually larger in size as well another reason i do not believe this is one. However it is a very nice find....Good eye!!.......................GTP(Chris)

makes a lot more sense ...I didnt notice how small that was
 
Yep the lines have me scratching my head-thanks SOHIO

I believe the incising might be part of the grinding process to reduce its size. Another indicator that this piece was probably going to be used as a Bead..................GTP
 
Get-the-point said:
I'm thinking a bead preform due to its size, before the drilling. The incised lines looks like they were trying to reduce its size. Discoidals are usually larger in size as well another reason i do not believe this is one. However it is a very nice find....Good eye!!.......................GTP(Chris)

Thanks Chris - that makes sense - it does appear that they were trying to reduce its size. It's the only piece that I've found with the incised lines .
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom