Need advice, getting very discouraged.

Kosh

Dec 4, 2011
Saratoga Springs, New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi folks. I have had my detector for 4 months and have done a ton of research. I have found what I think are good 1700s cellar holes that are virgin ground. I have watched all the videos, read articles and even read 2 books on the hobby and how best to go about it.

I bought after much research a Garret 1350 and a garret pin pointer. Now This detector works great if I am on the beach and want to find tons of clad coins at 1-3 inches all day long. Currently I am at my cellar hole, here is the post regarding it http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,456767.0.html

So I am at the cellar hole. Every single time I get a strong silver signal and I mean strong, I go over it several times to confirm the reading, get a size and depth via my detector I dig the target and it is ALWAYS a nail. What gives? I bought the detector I did because it was rated as one of the top coin shooter detectors on the market. Why does it always give a false silver reading? After I dig the nail I go over the hole again if the signal is still there I dig and dig and dig using my pin pointer and detector and all I ever find are more dam nails. I have spent at least 3 full days detecting at this site, I have been very diligent, patient and at first was digging every signal. After I dug about 100+ nails and numerous other pieces of trash out of the ground I started to try and discriminate. Nothing changed, every signal that screamed out as a silver coin was dug and there were only nails in the hole.

I have tried adjusting the settings, I have used all the modes. Currently I am in relic mode as it shows every thing other than iron. I have turned the sensitively up and down, neither seems to make a difference. Every time the thing screams silver (usually silver dollar or quarter) I dig and never get anything but iron.

Could my detector be broken or factory defunct in some way? Or is the detector I bought a total piece of well you know?

I don't mean to come off as a killjoy but this digging up nails thing is getting old fast.

Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Lakemonster said:
old forged or cut nails give me good signals too. Especially if they are bent. Modern cast nails dont for some reason.

I dig more of them than I care to, but I hate to pass up a silver on edge that gives of a similar signal to those nails.

My MXT loves square nails. They sound really good, and I usually dig them, not wanting to miss anything. But an old coin, not a zinker, but copper, makes a different sound, almost a ring to it. I haven't found silver or gold at that site, and I sure have a collection of square nails.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A cellar hole is a nice find as was said, all those iron nails will mask a good find. Be diligent and you may get rewarded. Maybe that silver cache is in an iron box :dontknow:

In the open though, my detector gets fools by large iron nails or spikes. When I get a loud silver that says 3 or 4 inches, I lift my loop gradually to see if I'm still hitting a silver signal hard. If I'm 6" off the ground and still getting a good signal, I'm almost 100% certain it's iron.

Al

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread