Maitland

Mar 15, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Detector(s) used
White's Silver Eagle, Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello all,

Looking for some brand and model suggestions for a metal detector. I've got an old White's Silver Eagle (probably from the early 90's) that I inherited a while back, it works alright but it would be kind of nice to get something about twenty years newer and hopefully a little more lightweight and better-sensing (not sure if they have improved metal detectors in the last two decades, but mine certainly knows how to find garbage (especially tinfoil and can tabs) quite well and better than anything else!) I'm not very familiar with metal detectors, other than how to use the one that I have. I'm not sure if it's going to be difficult or not to find something to suit all of my needs, because I live in an area that's full of relics, coins, nuggets, etc. I know there are some detectors that are better for nugget-shooting, and other that are better for coin-shooting (and so on...) I'd kind of like to do a little bit of everything: nugget-shooting, coin-shooting, jewelry-hunting, and relic-hunting (I hope those are all the proper terminologies...) The soil where I am at is heavily laden with all sorts of different sought-after minerals, I'm not sure if that is relevant in any way when it comes to suggestions for a detector, but I thought I would mention it. For the "average" retail price, I would like to stay below the $800 mark and try to get the most bang for my buck. I have heard all sorts of good things about Minelab, Tesoro, Garrett, etc. but I don't even know which models from different brands are comparable to one another, so it's tough for me to get a good idea of what's hot and what's not. As I mentioned earlier, I want something that can find different types of things, not just one certain type of detecting... since one weekend I might be gold prospecting and the next I might be checking out a ghost town or old camp. Anyhow, brand and model suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm not worried about the initial user-friendliness, I mean if I have to read a 300-page book to know how to utilize the thing to it's best capabilities, so what! I have nothing better to do anyway! :read2:

Thank you!

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Machines that are good at the other stuff you mentioned tend to be poor "gold hunters." If you want all three types of hunting, I would recommend a White's MXT. It was designed for just what you mentioned. It was actually designed around the GMT, a gold specific machine. I love mine and it works MARVELOUSLY for coins, relics and gold. you WILL want to get a 4x6" shooter coil if you plan on a lot of nugget hunting with it though. A bigger coil will drive you nuts.

OP
OP
Maitland

Maitland

Mar 15, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Detector(s) used
White's Silver Eagle, Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you for the information, Diggit, it probably would've taken hours for me to find out that for myself. Is that 4"x6" shooter coil the one that is solid (no hole) and kind of elliptical-shaped? Also, how far down can the MXT penetrate the soil, about a foot or so? I think that's what I get with my "old skool" Silver Eagle.

Any other suggestions/recommendations appreciated also!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions