Need advice on buying bullion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eldar11

Mar 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apmex has almost everything. And for the price (low amounts over spot) it's great. I've purchased some "junk" silver, which comes in large rounds or bars or whatever adds up to what you buy, sometimes theres coins in there, but usually not. there's also large bullion bars available. Remember there's shipping though.

OP
OP
Easy

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apmex has almost everything. And for the price (low amounts over spot) it's great. I've purchased some "junk" silver, which comes in large rounds or bars or whatever adds up to what you buy, sometimes theres coins in there, but usually not. there's also large bullion bars available. Remember there's shipping though.

Cool, thanks. My first question is why are there different prices for the .999 bars of the same weight? Second do you know where I can get .9999?

Eldar11

Mar 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Canadian coins and bullion are .9999 I believe. I know maple leaves are, but I'd have to look into other types of canadian bullion. The different prices come from, I believe, the different places that they come from (Johnson Mathey vs Credit Suisse vs others) where some are better quality or more desirable. Don't quote me on that though. People like to know they're getting the real thing, so better known makers are in higher demand and have more of a premium.

Last edited:

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its all about Provident Metals..

Eldar11

Mar 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its all about Provident Metals..

How are they? I've never dealt with them before.

Easy- I meant to also say that there are many other places to buy, provident being one. I couldn't remember the name, and I've been trying to remember for the name.

Deep Packets

Dec 7, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Provident all day. Look up the prices and see for yourself though. You should have been buying the last 3 months!!!!! You're still good though.

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
You might also want to check out the local pawn shops if there are any in your area, coin shops, or even the places that have sprung up offering to buy gold and silver to see what they have. There is one place in my town that has 3 or 4 people waving their signs everyday on the highway out front of his shop. He opened about 4 or 5 months ago and has had the wavers out front since, I don't know how he can make a profit with paying that many people even minimum wages but there are a bunch of places in towns around us that have wavers out front. I'm not saying that they will offer to sell at the lowest prices but if you check on the internet first and get an ideal of what you can buy silver for elsewhere they may at least match or come close to those prices. The mark up on 10 oz bars (or 100 oz) is about the lowest you will find on silver. Around me I was usually paying 1 dollar per oz over spot and didn't have any shipping costs but even the markup can vary with the spot price. As Eldar11 said the prices are slightly higher for the factory sealed bars from the better known companies because they are easier to resell. About the cheapest thing to buy are common unsealed 1 oz rounds which they will buy back for less than spot. I have bought both online and local and think that either is good as long as you check around first before buying. As long as it is small amounts and you are holding onto what you buy, any time or spot price is OK because you can always buy more if the price goes down and if it goes up you will be glad to have every oz you were able to afford.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would get more silver coins. They will be much easyer to sell trade or what ever. You will most likely lose the extra that you pay for the rounds or bars. If we do hit the real hard times. No one will say wow a nice round let me pay you extra for that??? I don't think so. And they say keep your silver small. Its better for trading. If we do get hit with real hard times the extra money guys are paying out will most likely be lost?? I have 1172 oz and i only have 16 rounds and 1 10oz bar.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
IMO, silver is too high to be buying right now.
If you do plan to buy, definitely pawn shops and local gold buyers are the only places I would go.

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Provident is good for buying AND selling coins and bullion.
Gainsville is good if you're paying with a credit card.

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many times, Provident Metals has beat out my local coin shops price-wise. Even when including shipping. I've had zero problems both buying and selling with Provident Metals.

I'd say go with 10-ounce bars. Lower premiums than coins, still quite liquid, smaller in size but still hefty enough to know you're holding 10 ounces of silver in your hand.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
see our Precious Metals forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions