Need advice on how best to find a gold ring

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
well it will come in between pulltab to high iron side, so be prepared to dig junk, also hit it from different angles, put a nickel on the ground or a simular size ring to see how it hits

OP
OP
BandB1

BandB1

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2008
SE Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes when I asked her what kinda ring it was, I was hoping she'd say silver. Was hunting for it on all metal mode, and expected it to be around knickle/ pull tab. But I found myself after sunset, getting swarmed by mosquitos, digging a hole that was about six inches deep and couldnt help but think that it was highly unlikely the ring would be this deep in such a short time ( turned out to be some sort of aluminum, I think.)

Thanks for your advice Thompy.

GoldBurn

Jul 6, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 & GTI 2500
Hopefully the lawnmower didn't inhale it and bag it along with last year's grass clippings.

It's tough with the Lone Star, I had one. Without a depth meter, a deep pulltab and a ring on the surface show up the same.

I'd estimate that if the ring has only been on the ground a year, and the soil hasn't been tilled over it can't be much deeper than the sod.
Having a decent pinpointer will help you out.. When a nickel / tab signal hits, brush the area over with the pointer.. it'll tell you what lies in the sod and saves you from digging a big hole.

OP
OP
BandB1

BandB1

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2008
SE Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Goldburn.

Seems more than 60% of the coins I find are in the sod. I find that when I make a horse shoe plug I can wave my coil over it, ( I do this when kneeling down, by grabbing my detector low on the stem) if I get no beep I then wave it over the hole, more often than not I am able to tell the difference. If I think its in the sod( much more often than not it is) I then use my trowel to scrap off layers of dirt into my hand, wave my hand across the coil that I keep nearby, and I love it when a handful of dirt sets off a beep. I also have a square of cardboard about a 12" by 12" that I throw the dirt on, so I can just slide it back in the hole.
I've been suprised that my machine from day one can x in the position of an object rather well. Thanks for your advice, and I'll have to ask about if their lawnmover has a bagger. ( These people fuss over their lawn like everyday, like ants, the lady's husband watch me replace the soil and flip back the the plug and remarked you could hardly tell,,,, have to admit some of my plugs and such have looked embarrassingly bad.)

Thanks for your reply,
HH.

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
most of the coins here dont get past the sod either,even 1860's, dont understand why, lots of beach sand below, i tryed to locate a ring a few weeks ago but she couldnt narrow down the search, she lost it while driving

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70
Thompy said:
well it will come in between pulltab to high iron side, so be prepared to dig junk, also hit it from different angles, put a nickel on the ground or a simular size ring to see how it hits

I agree. Additionally I would try turning the sens down and give it a try over the area. If a pull tab has the beaver tail still attached it ring in higher than the pulltab, if not you'll have to dig to confirm, I would suspect that 2"-4" would be max depth. Good luck.

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find the area where she thinks she lost it and look everywhere else. I've found that in most cases if it was lost where they thought they lost it, they would have found it. Chances are it's not where they think they lost it.

OP
OP
BandB1

BandB1

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2008
SE Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for you advice, Digger and Eagle 77.

I have been operating with the sens at 100%, turning it all the way down cuts the range by about half. Thanks for pointing that out.

Yeah maybe she is pointing to the place where she noticed it gone, but not where it actually fell.

GoldBurn

Jul 6, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 & GTI 2500
You may want to turn the sensitivity down to about 25% on that Bounty Hunter. I've found that pushing it up that high will just make sure you hear signals from tiny bits of foil, while not gaining much depth.

I used to run mine on just one click above 'on' with the 10" coil, and still pull signals from coins 6" deep.

Like Thompy said.. use a nickel, do an air test at about 6"
Turn the sens and disc all the way down. Turn up the sens gradually until you get a good repeatable signal on the nickel in the air. Leave it there.

OP
OP
BandB1

BandB1

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2008
SE Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello beale, yes I think maybe she is pointing to where she discovered it missing and not exactly where she lost it. I think I will give it a try or two more, then give up.

Thanks for the advice Goldburn, being new to this I can always use advice on how to set my sens, disc.

HH

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep your coil off the ground so that you only cover the top inch or 2.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions