What's new

Need button help for my dad

Kevo_DFX

Hero Member
Joined
Sep 5, 2008
Messages
567
Reaction score
135
Golden Thread
0
Location
Greensburg, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX
Hi all,

When I got into metal detecting a little over a year ago, I fell in love with it. I caught the fire and bought a DFX and have not looked back. I loved the finds I was making and am always on the search for better techniques and more promising grounds.

One of the unexpected benefits of this hobby is that I have reconnected with my dad. We have never seen eye to eye, but about 6 months ago I convinced him to by a detector and he bought a prizm 4. We now get to go out once or twice a month and spend some time together, and amazingly we get along perfectly and have a lot of fun.

I took him to a farm I have permission to hunt last week, and he unearthed the flat button pictured below. I told him the experts online would probably be able to identify it, but it is pretty cooked, so I'm posting the pics here with hope. It's the oldest thing he's found and he's beside himself with happiness, but he'd like a little info on it. I have previously found a button on this property (SW PA) that was dated to 1815-1830.

Here are the pics, I tried to take closeup's of the backmark, the whole button is a touch smaller than a quarter:


IMG_2170.jpg

IMG_2166.jpg

IMG_2167.jpg

IMG_2168.jpg

IMG_2169.jpg

IMG_2173.jpg

IMG_2174.jpg


Thanks in advance,
Kevo
 
Good to hear you got your dad involved in metal detecting and you spend quality time together :icon_thumright:

Based look of button would guess same era as other button found same location 1820's.

Can you post a pic of the entire button (might help on the back marking ID).
 
Upvote 0
Kevo, I've gone through Tice's book to try to find any illustrated backmark which contained the small diamond within the outer ring, but there are none illustrated. It seems this small bit of the design is all we really have to go on, but I'm sure one of us will find this diamond on a cleaner example once we go through our buttons.
 
Upvote 0
Kevo, I'm afraid I've exhausted my resources for identifying your father's button. I went through several hundred backmarked buttons of my own, as well as the backmarks illustrated in Tice, and all I can find from your button's era is a triagular spacing device used by Bennedict and Coe sometime around 1834. I agree with the previous poster that if you do a scan of the full button, and perhaps play with the contrast a little bit we might be able to make out a maker's name.
 
Upvote 0
Maybe you could try to brush a little baby powder or flour on the back very gently to see if it helps bring out the backmark.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom