What's new

✅ SOLVED Need button ID...........

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2007
Messages
3,295
Reaction score
2,665
Golden Thread
0
Location
Vicksburg Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got this nice coat size button yesterday. Has a flag and anchor. Quite old. I can make out (GILT and COLOUR) ON THE BACK BUT THERE IS MORE I CAN'T READ. Hoping to get an age. I found two examples on line but they didn't know either.
 

Attachments

  • 1680613388243.webp
    1680613388243.webp
    48.8 KB · Views: 132
  • 1680613422050.webp
    1680613422050.webp
    45.2 KB · Views: 67
Upvote 2
Creskol is correct. More specifically, it is a Cruise Ship company uniform button. Several very similar ones are shown in the Waterbury Button Company's online catalog, in the Career Uniform > Cruise Lines section. To see them, go here:

I've seen your button's specific emblem somewhere previously, but I can't recall the exact ID. Because your button's backmark contains the British spelling of the word "color" as colour, it most probably represents one of the British Cruise Lines. Since we don't see modern backmarks which say colour, your button might be for a late-1800s-to-early-1900s company which is no longer in business.
 
Upvote 6
Yep... Anchor Line steamship company button, probably from the late 1800s.

From kellybadges.co.uk:
Anchor Line.webp

Anchor Line was a Scottish merchant shipping company with HQ in Glasgow, founded in 1855. Initially operating routes to India under sail, their first steam operation was on a transatlantic service to New York in October 1856. Cunard took them over in 1911 but they continued to operate using the Anchor Line house flag under Cunard’s parentage until the company was dissolved in 1980.
 
Upvote 4

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom