Need everyones input on 18K brass rings

flintchip

Apr 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, I found a brass ring marked 18K (not the one in the picture, but just like it, can't find my camera usb cable) yesterday in the middle of a large Union camp. It was around 5" deep. After surfing the net, I've found more questions than answers about it. First off I know it was sold as a fake as it is brass. Secondly, I know everything found on a Civil War site is not of the period. And thirdly, I know that in 1906 the US passed a law that all jewelry had to marked as to metal content. There seems to be a raging debates on several forums, concerning these rings, about whether CW soldiers wore them or not. My question to all of you, that have found one of these, is where did you find it? I would be very interested to know how many others have come off of CW sites.

Attachments

• brass ring 18k.jpg
    brass ring 18k.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 170
Upvote 1
I've found one here at my city park. 1870's 18k brass ring with some gold coloring inside. Funny thing is it was resized so it had a 2mm gold line. I sold it for $25 buck to a guy that collects them

I've found one here at my city park. 1870's 18k brass ring with some gold coloring inside. Funny thing is it was resized so it had a 2mm gold line. I sold it for $25 buck to a guy that collects them

That's funny. Wonder if the guy who added the gold bothered to tell the owner it was brass?

These can definately date to the late 19th C, but no idea if CW soldiers wore them. We find them in the UK, no US CW activity over here. They are fairly common, I got one only last week.

Last edited:
I've never dug one (that was not a modern Fake.
But this subject is interesting none the less.

What would settle the debate is rock-solid documentation of exactly when gold objects first were marked with the Karat rating (10K, 14K, etc). For a long time, I've done a lot of websearching, but have not found the rock-solid time-period documentation we need. Instead, I've found a bunch of guesses and not-fully-trustworthy statements by sellers of antique jewelry.

I should mention, I've seen a LOT of civil war era Military gold (not just gold-plated) insignia... but none PROVEN to be from that time-period marked 10K, 14K, 18K (or KT), etc, etc, etc.

The same is true in my searches to learn with CERTAINTY exactly when the stamping specifically saying "Sterling" first began appearing on silver objects.

Hopefully, somebody will eventually provide the ROCK-SOLID time documentation we relic-diggers and collectors need.

have seen them pulled from new England farm fields and cellar holes - so not reserved for CW soldiers

I agree that rock solid evidence is needed but in all honesty I doubt we will ever get it. This the reason for the post. If, say, 20 folks post they had found one in a CW camp then we could say with all probability that they were indeed worn by soldiers. I am a purist when it comes to displaying relics. I do not like to mix relics from different periods. That's why I am asking for others opinions and finds. Thanks for your response Cannonball.
What would settle the debate is rock-solid documentation of exactly when gold objects first were marked with the Karat rating (10K, 14K, etc). For a long time, I've done a lot of websearching, but have not found the rock-solid time-period documentation we need. Instead, I've found a bunch of guesses and not-fully-trustworthy statements by sellers of antique jewelry.

I should mention, I've seen a LOT of civil war era Military gold (not just gold-plated) insignia... but none PROVEN to be from that time-period marked 10K, 14K, 18K (or KT), etc, etc, etc.

The same is true in my searches to learn with CERTAINTY exactly when the stamping specifically saying "Sterling" first began appearing on silver objects.

Hopefully, somebody will eventually provide the ROCK-SOLID time documentation we relic-diggers and collectors need.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back