Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greetings everyone. I found this ring last week, and it has me a little puzzled. It appears old, and is on the chucky side. There are no makers marks.
The ring weighs 8 grams and is about 23 mm in diameter. I'm guessing that the composition is bronze. It has also been somewhat squished as you can tell from the photos.
The area where the ring was found has produced coins and relics dating as far back as the mid/late 1600's. Does any one have a guess about the age of this ring?

resize-1.JPG
resize-2.JPG
resize-3.JPG
resize-4.JPG

Thanks for taking a look! Cheers!

It may be the lighting, but, it looks like it might be silver. I'd clean it to see.

Upvote 1
It may be the lighting, but, it looks like it might be silver. I'd clean it to see.
Thanks for the reply cudamark. What you see is what you get. This is how the ring looked after a vigorous scrubbing with a baking soda paste.

Upvote 0
I'd scrape an edge to see the base metal. If silver, I'd then soak it in a vinegar bath for a day using the inverted empty aluminum can bottom as a bathtub. Then rub with baking soda to remove the black crust and rinse in water. Repeat as necessary. Even if it's brass/copper, my personal preference with jewelry is to make it look like new again. I've tried to sell crusty jewelry and I don't get any takers. Nobody wants to wear one looking like that.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back