Need help from jewelry experts

N2CU

Feb 13, 2011
Orchard Park, Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F70, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a ring that is stamped "155" on the inside. Took it to three different jewelers and all had different opinions; it's old, it's silver, it's costume, it's an unidentifiable metal. None had any idea what the "155" meant. I'm thinking it might be old enough to pre-date the standard marking of silver/gold content. Here's the link to my original post with pictures: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,392239.0.html

Please help if you can.

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
you can buy a silver testing kit for a few bucks on ebay, and your local jeweler or pawn shop should be able to test it to see if it's gold. Not sure what the 155 means, but there are metal tests to know for sure...

Upvote 0

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like testing 123 said, the only way to know what the ring is made of is to have it tested. It "looks" like it could be silver or white gold....or it could be just plated. I have never seen that marking before.

Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks to be silver plated costume jewellery to me, possibly a birthstone ring?
The "155" I think is the style number. :icon_scratch:

Dave

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N2CU

N2CU

Feb 13, 2011
Orchard Park, Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F70, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was tested for gold - not. Didn't test as silver either. Regardless, it has a beautiful stone (very brilliant) and my wife loves it. She wants to resize and wear it.

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not a jewelry expert, but the metal appears to be titanium, and the stone an Aquamarine for a March birthstone. There are alot of off-shore companies who mass produce titanium rings, as well as those who more or less hand-make them.

Titanium will leave a dark gray, almost black mark on porcelain. Try making a mark on a piece of porcelain; be sure to mark somewhere inconspicuous, like underneath the toilet lid because the mark will not come off very easily.

The 155 could be the 'size 5' since most titanium rings are sized from 5-15.

Really nice find, Breezie

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread