What's new

Need help Identifying a coin

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2008
Messages
1,755
Reaction score
6
Golden Thread
0
Location
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Found this coin in a dime roll a few weeks ago. I cannot seem to identify the matieral it is composed of. I am pretty sure it is silver, but how much? I have looked all over, and cant seem to find the information.

It is a 1956 British Caribbean Territories 10 cent coin. It also reads Eastern Group on the reverse. Has a photo of the Queen as well.

Any ideas?
Thank you,
Anthony
 
Upvote 0
Post a picture and I can find it, and tell you the info.

Thanks,
jason
 
Thank you for the help. I dont know where else to look. Here is a photo:
 

Attachments

  • bct.webp
    bct.webp
    61.5 KB · Views: 378
I have found modern ones "East Carribean States" but I'm not sure what country they are actually from. :tongue3:
 
Here is what my world coins catalog has to say.

"The East Caribbean States, formerly the British Caribbean Territories (Eastern group), formed a currency board in 1950 to provide the constituent territories of Trinidad & Tobago, Barbados, British Guiana (now Guyana), British Virgin Islands, Anguilla, St. Kitts, Nevis, Antigua, Dominica, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and Grenada with a common currency, thereby permitting withdrawal of the regular British Pound currency. This was dissolved in 1965 and after the breakup, the East Caribbean Territories, a grouping including Barbados, the Leeward and Windward Islands, came into being. Coinage of the dissolved "Eastern Group" continues to circulate."

The coin is copper-nickel and not silver.
 
the one i found was a 1955 and it was silver....could they have changed it the following year?
 
mistergee said:
the one i found was a 1955 and it was silver....could they have changed it the following year?

Nope. They were minted from 1955 - 1965 and all are listed as copper-nickel.
 
Do not know how you do it, but you guys are awesome at diggin up obscure information. Thanks for the help, this is a groovey coin, and being silver it is that much cooler.

Anthony
 
Narthoniel said:
Do not know how you do it, but you guys are awesome at diggin up obscure information. Thanks for the help, this is a groovey coin, and being silver it is that much cooler.

Anthony

I've been involved with coins for more than 40 years. The folks who helped me get started stressed one thing - BUY THE BOOK. There were times when it was painful to spend money for a reference book that could have been used for a coin. But looking back I have never regretted having the reference books. They are invaluable for reference purposes.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom