Need help identifying some pottery fragments

Aimrys

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings to everyone.

I hope I write in the right place, and that someone can help me identify these pottery shards I found today. The site the items were found on, was subject to archaeological excavations long ago, and supposedly held a Roman tower (watch tower I guess) between two well known and documented Roman forts/towns. The region itself is filled with Roman and Celtic archaeological sites, as well as Neolithic and Bronze age cultures.
These are surface finds, and I'm wondering if these are modern items (making me a fool) or perhaps ancient pottery. The items are not cleaned, and here are some photos. All can be opened for finer details (they are quite large).
Any help is appreciated. Thanks for your time!

Fragment No.1 (looks to me like a shallow vessel, tableware dish perhaps, since bot top and bottom can be seen on the fragment.Small lines can be seen both in front and back, from potters hands?) :
Photo-0003.jpg
Photo-0017.jpg
Photo-0011.jpg
Photo-0012.jpg
Photo-0021.jpg - inside
Photo-0020.jpg

Fragment No.2 (I have my own doubts about this item, but what the hell, it looked interesting enough. The two lines of a pattern are obvious. Perhaps Roman Greyware pottery ? )

Photo-0028.jpg
Photo-0024.jpg
Photo-0025.jpg
Photo-0026.jpg
Photo-0027.jpg

JonG

Feb 1, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Whites Eagle II SL 90
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not trying to get a precise location, but where did you find them? Europe, US, what state?

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I will leave the real analysis of the items to those with more knowledge of pottery, especially European pottery. However, I believe that the first piece dates from the 1800's to the early 1900's and possibly later while the second piece may be etched stone but if it is in fact pottery, then it dates to a far earlier time.

Frank

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Aimrys

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anybody ? Someone from Europe with more knowledge of Roman pottery ?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread