What's new

Need help identifying these!! What time period and what are they?

grobb28

Full Member
Joined
Feb 20, 2013
Messages
207
Reaction score
11
Golden Thread
0
image-2550585391.webp
 
Upvote 0
Hey grobb,
Were they on the surface or did you dig for them?? If they were on the surface, I'd be digging that spot for sure.

They were not on surface the were about 5-8 inches under dirt and also the big " knife " was near surface at very very back of cave
 
Without a diagnostic artifact like a finished projectile point you can only guess at the age of your artifacts. If you find any pottery that will narrow it down some.. the type of temper in pottery can narrow it down more... also there is often evidence of several occupations overtime in shelters like that.

I was just assuming they were old based off the flintknapping marks look ancient
 
I was just assuming they were old based off the flintknapping marks look ancient

Also I found a big spearhead in same spot a few years back but someone stole it from me unfortunately it was 4-5 inches spearhead it was pink
 
Depending on the soil conditions and.. the type of stone.. and other factors the patina on stone will vary you're not going to be able to put a date on it... they are from the Stone Age that's pretty old... if you have a picture of the point you found we can date that
 
Last edited:
Depending on the soil conditions and.. the type of stone.. and other factors the patina on stone will vary you're not going to be able to put a date on it... they are from the Stone Age that's pretty old... if you have a picture of the point you found we can date that

Unfortunately I do not
 
Unfortunately I do not

But I researched some there was some archaic sites where they did archeological digs at about 10-20 miles from where this was found and there was a " knife " from that place that looked identical to my piece.. The site was called beaver creek site In Osage county oklahoma
 
I say keep digging..get another.
Good luck
 
Keep digging,my friend. Go slow, be thorough, good documentation and please keep us posted. I have a feeling your going to find some great stuff. Just a hunch, but 5-8 inches down in the very back of a cave, I'm sure it's quite old, just can't say for sure? I think your on the right track with your research. Thanks.
But I researched some there was some archaic sites where they did archeological digs at about 10-20 miles from where this was found and there was a " knife " from that place that looked identical to my piece.. The site was called beaver creek site In Osage county oklahoma
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom