What's new

need help identifying this band

TC4

Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2007
Messages
26
Reaction score
24
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Detector:CTX 3030 Minelab XS ,SE Pro coil X-1 Probe
found another band need help identifying,it has ILL DEPT AGRI 1948
 

Attachments

  • DSCN0088.webp
    DSCN0088.webp
    9.1 KB · Views: 769
  • DSCN0089.webp
    DSCN0089.webp
    9.6 KB · Views: 752
Neat find, I guess I might start with the IL. DNR? Maybe someone can help here though.
 
Upvote 0
Got me stumped. I can't figure what the Dept. of Ag would put bands on, unless it was crops or trees. And I think trees might fall under the Dept of Conservation. Which I found a wide band yesterday from Dept of Conservation.
:icon_sunny: HH in 2010 :icon_sunny:
 
Upvote 0
Kieth-Tx said:
Bird band?

I have to agree on the bird band . Heres a Copy & paste that might help explain it when the dept of Agriculture got involved in banded birds . I know I,m new here . but I have ran across them before , thought it might help . Bob


( In the early 1900s, scientific bird banding with numbered metal bands was developed and also included the collection and storage of banding data. In 1920, the U.S. Department of Agriculture took over the banding scheme. In 1923 the Canadian government began to administer all bands used in Canada. Since that time, the U.S. and Canadian governments have worked together, and bands are now standardized throughout North America. Now, the U.S. Geological Survey Bird Banding Laboratory (USGS BBL) and the Canadian Wildlife Service are responsible for overseeing all banding done on North American birds. In countries outside North America, the government generally regulates bird banding. For example, in Belize, Central America, a Scientific Research permit must be obtained from the Ministry of Natural Resources, Forestry Department, Conservation Division in order to band birds )


Credit to this link .http://www.zoosociety.org/Conservation/BWB-ASF/Library/BirdBanding.php
 
Upvote 0
It is an I.D tag for a bird. (Bird Band) :o May have been hurt and set free again or may have had some other reason they were watching it. :read2: I am sure that the Illinois Department of Natural Resources would really like it back. :hello2: You should send it back to them for sure, it could be a very important bird.

Cool find, :icon_thumleft: :headbang:

Keep @ It and HH !! ;D :D
 
Upvote 0
I agree too, bird band. I found this one here in NC last November. It is from Ohio as you can see. I ran into a dead end trying to find out more info about it. Most records didn't go that far back. One site I found based out of Texas used to have the old hand written and filed records, but she told me they were destroyed in a Tornado back in the 90's. :'(
Mine had a last name on it too, but that also was a dead end. :dontknow:

Great find though, and pretty old too. Congrats,
MM
 

Attachments

  • MVC-104S.webp
    MVC-104S.webp
    14.8 KB · Views: 451
  • MVC-104S.webp
    MVC-104S.webp
    14.8 KB · Views: 447
Upvote 0
I think pheasants were some of the first tagged. Tony
 
Upvote 0
The last band I found was on a dead red tailed hawk in Ohio, a closed band unlike your open band.
I contacted the patuxent wildlife research center listed on the band , the lady I talked to couldnt give me any info but took my name and address and ask where I found the bird.
I got a letter from U.S. Department of the Interior, U.S. Geological Survey, Patuxent Wildlife Research Center Laurel MD. that had a certificate of appreciation with age of bird " date hatched", location- Harpers ferry WV. , name and address of bander and recovery location that i found it in.
It also stated " Data from banded birds are used in monitoring populations,setting hunting regulations, restoring endangered species, studding effects of environmental contaminants and addressing such issues as lyme disease ,bird hazards at airports and crop depredations.
Please Report bands 1-800-327-BAND.

http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/bbl/homepage/whyband.htm

I realize you have a different type of band but thought this may be of interest here since im sure many people find bands with detectors.
Closed bands are put on young birds open bands on older birds, bands are also used on imported birds such as parrots , witch may the type of band you have.

http://www.birdsnways.com/wisdom/ww5eiii.htm
 
Upvote 0
Spooky said:
Led Zeppelin.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahhahaaaaaaaaaahaha! Rando, you crazy nut; love your humor.
 
Upvote 0
Maybe it's some sort of cattle tag ?
 

Attachments

  • tag.webp
    tag.webp
    45.6 KB · Views: 383
Upvote 0
It is definately a bird band. I know that other people have sent them back to the Dept. Of Agriculture with information on where and when they found it and they in turn sent them a thank you certificate with information on the type of bird it was and where and when it was hatched and released. -Garbageman
 
Upvote 0
Bird Band, not to be confused with Rock Band or Country Band. My bird has a band but they sound awful. :laughing9:
 

Attachments

  • bird 014.webp
    bird 014.webp
    80.8 KB · Views: 393
Upvote 0
USDA-owned and operated quarantine stations use bands with letters and three or four numbers. The letters refer to the name of the station:

Honolulu, HI - HH
Key West, FL - T
Miami, FL - 58A, 58B, 58C, 58D, 58E, 58F or USDA-F
Newburgh, NY - NNY

The letters on the leg bands of USDA-regulated pet bird quarantine stations refer to location and are followed by three or four numbers:

Brownsville, TX - USDAB
Honolulu, HI - USDAH
Los Angeles, CA - USDAA
Miami, FL - USDAM
Mission, TX - USDAX ** for confiscated birds being put up for auction.
Newburgh, NY - USDANNY
San Ysidro, CA - USDAN

Privately owned commercial import stations use bands with an alphanumeric code - three letters followed by three numbers. The first letter signifies the state in which the station is located:

California - C,O
Florida - F
Hawaii - H
Illinois - I
Louisiana - L
Michigan - M
New York - N
Texas - T

The second letter denotes the quarantine station, while the third letter is part of the bird's ID number. For additional information regarding the numbers and letters on a bird's import band, call the USDA Administration Office Department of Agriculture, Fish, & Wildlife.
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom