What's new

Need help identifying uniform

Inix

Full Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2017
Messages
106
Reaction score
252
Golden Thread
0
Location
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Does anybody know what uniform these men are wearing? I am quite sure the picture was taken in Traverse City, Michigan. Thanks in advance for your help!
 

Attachments

  • 20190630_120152.webp
    20190630_120152.webp
    241.8 KB · Views: 114
  • 20190630_120008.webp
    20190630_120008.webp
    238 KB · Views: 159
  • 20190630_115818.webp
    20190630_115818.webp
    220.6 KB · Views: 102
  • 20190630_115621.webp
    20190630_115621.webp
    330.9 KB · Views: 101
Maybe a funeral for a fireman ?

Firemen.webp
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I don't see any black arm bands so I don't think funeral but definitely a fire company. The second wagon has something
on it with a large flywheel. A fire engine? Early fire services were not subsidized by the local governments. They were
private enterprises, hence the name fire company. They sold fire insurance or subscriptions that guaranteed that if your
house caught on fire they'd show up. Subscribers had medallions on their porch posts that indicated they were covered
and by which company. No medallion no services!
In this case the company was probably founded by the livery stable. A likely source for horses and heavy wagons.

Best wishes and thanks for posting!
 
Upvote 0
Hey Phil. You mentioned the medallions. Years ago I came across a couple of them. I forgot all about them until I read your comment. Thanks
 
Upvote 0
Yeah Inix they're pretty cool finds, congrats!
 
Upvote 0
In Winchester Va they had Zane's fire company. The Zanes also owned a whopping big Iron Works. Nice investment, Huh?
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom