🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Need help identifying what button maker this is on the back.

Critik

Apr 25, 2017
Charlotte, Nc
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro/Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/Fisher 1225x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was told it is suppose to say Double guild at the bottom and I can see where it says L & .. But what else would it of said.

Also do you know what it would of came off of? It was found in North Carolina.
19E3A987-28FD-48E3-8468-5E5859FE68B2.png
7A886D3A-F0EE-449F-A53E-A5E53379D90B.png

OP
OP
C

Critik

Apr 25, 2017
Charlotte, Nc
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can’t find anything on the net that would show buttons made by Lewis & tomes
Not definitely Lewis and Tomes. Just one possibility. Also, probably says DOUBLE GILT.
hmm how can I find out what
Not definitely Lewis and Tomes. Just one possibility. Also, probably says DOUBLE GILT.
hmm does anyone have the button book I really want to know what was after the L&..

Thanks for the help

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It might be near impossible to find out. Probably British made 1820-1850 or so. There were many, many manufacturers over there and here at that period in time.

Upvote 1

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Critik asked:
> I can’t find anything on the net that would show buttons made by Lewis & Tomes. How can I find out what.

There is no book which shows brass 1-piece flatbuttons (like your find) made by Lewis & Tomes.

Since you don't seem to know:
However, there is a book which lists almost all the known backmarks made in the US, the Confederacy, and Britain. It is "American Military Button Makers And Dealers; Their Backmarks & Dates" by McGuinn & Bazelon.

Some possibilities from that book's listings:
L & T (as Spats said) Lewis & Tomes, located in Birmingham England with an office in NY City
L & Kendrick (Leavenworths & Kendrick), located in Waterbury CT
Because there seems to be a lot of space after the "L &" before you get to the end of "Gilt, I suspect it said L & Kendrick.

According to the McGuinn-&-Bazelon book, Leavenworths & Kendrick was in business from 1829-34. I should mention, after that time, brass 1-piece flatbuttons rapidly fell out of public favor due to the advent of INEXPENSIVE machine-made 2-piece brass buttons with "ornate" emblems on their front.

BTW, Spats is definitely correct, the rest of the backmark on your button said Double Gilt.

Upvote 4
OP
OP
C

Critik

Apr 25, 2017
Charlotte, Nc
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Critik asked:
> I can’t find anything on the net that would show buttons made by Lewis & Tomes. How can I find out what.

There is no book which shows brass 1-piece flatbuttons (like your find) made by Lewis & Tomes.

Since you don't seem to know:
However, there is a book which lists almost all the known backmarks made in the US, the Confederacy, and Britain. It is "American Military Button Makers And Dealers; Their Backmarks & Dates" by McGuinn & Bazelon.

Some possibilities from that book's listings:
L & T (as Spats said) Lewis & Tomes, located in Birmingham England with an office in NY City
L & Kendrick (Leavenworths & Kendrick), located in Waterbury CT
Because there seems to be a lot of space after the "L &" before you get to the end of "Gilt, I suspect it said L & Kendrick.

According to the McGuinn-&-Bazelon book, Leavenworths & Kendrick was in business from 1829-34. I should mention, after that time, brass 1-piece flatbuttons rapidly fell out of public favor due to the advent of INEXPENSIVE machine-made 2-piece brass buttons with "ornate" emblems on their front.

BTW, Spats is definitely correct, the rest of the backmark on your button said Double Gilt.
Thank you so much. I am going to mess with it a bit I can kind of see something after the “&” so maybe your right

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread