What's new

Need help identifying?

backintheday

Greenie
Joined
Apr 15, 2010
Messages
19
Reaction score
5
Golden Thread
0
I found these small lead pieces and haven't a clue what they are. They were found close together. They are probably just junk but Its been nagging on me a bit to find out. I just have never found any before. Thanks for your help.

Thanks!
 

Attachments

  • leadpieces.gif
    leadpieces.gif
    217.4 KB · Views: 238
  • leadpieces2.gif
    leadpieces2.gif
    253.7 KB · Views: 240
They look like roofing nail caps.
 
Upvote 0
I agree, these look like roofing nail caps.

Just to state the obvious, these are made of lead, and are fixed or capped on the top of a steel nail. Very common for sheet metal roofs. As you drive the nail through the sheet metal and a fix it to the wood roof structure, the hammer will flatten the lead out and form a more waterproof seal against leaks.

I've never used them, but I've pulled a ton of them out of an old barn roof.
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom