What's new

Need help on button id.

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2009
Messages
1,450
Reaction score
925
Golden Thread
1
Location
NY
🥇 Banner finds
1
Hello all found this button a few years ago and have never found out what it is and when it was made. So any help would be great. Thanks for looking.

Bubba 65
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1542.webp
    IMG_1542.webp
    16.2 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_1543.webp
    IMG_1543.webp
    12.8 KB · Views: 307
Nice button. Can you tell me exactly what the backmark says? Looks like Waterbury.

Im going to guess a transportation company. Possibly Railway. NorthEast Central Railway? Wild guess.

Where did you find it?
 
Upvote 0
Hi Bubba, Steele & Johnson - 1858 to 1875 according to the information here
http://pw1.netcom.com/~jimyce/bm.html

Post 1875 will have Steele & Johnson Mfg Co (from what I understand of the information).

Mike
 
Upvote 0
I found this. http://doddcenter.uconn.edu/findaids/SteeleJohnson/MSS19800040.html


The Steele and Johnson Manufacturing Company was established as the Waterbury Jewell Company in 1851 and soon changed its name to the Steele and Johnson Button Company. In 1865 the company established its New York store, and in 1875 this manufacturer of brass buttons and various metal goods changed its name to the Steele and Johnson Manufacturing Company. Steele and Johnson produced and sold items primarily to brass companies and other businesses in Connecticut and Massachusetts, with customers in New York, Pennsylvania, Kentucky, Ohio, Illinois, Michigan, and California. During World War I it produced goods for the army and the government.
 
Upvote 0
I read the monogram as CNERy,
maybe a play on Scenery :icon_scratch:
 
Upvote 0
trikikiwi said:
I read the monogram as CNERy,
maybe a play on Scenery :icon_scratch:

I like that thought :icon_thumright: That's a great looking button :icon_sunny:
 
Upvote 0
Nice button! :thumbsup:

Central New England Railway.

Van Court attributes the Waterbury-backmarked variety as c. 1903.
 
Upvote 0
4-H said:
Again, Great work CY! And what is this over 10,000 post business? wow!
PBK got it.

9,000 posts reminding people to put up the green check. :D :wink:
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
9,000 posts reminding people to put up the green check. :D :wink:

Thumbs Up!.webp
solved.gif
 

Attachments

  • Thumbs Up!.webp
    Thumbs Up!.webp
    5.1 KB · Views: 236
Upvote 0
Thanks all for looking I believe that is what it is. I have found other railroad buttons in the same area this one was found.

Thanks,

Bubba 65
 
Upvote 0
Bubba65 said:
Thanks all for looking I believe that is what it is. I have found other railroad buttons in the same area this one was found.

Thanks,

Bubba 65
PBK has it in a book. solved check.gif
 

Attachments

  • solved check.gif
    solved check.gif
    589 bytes · Views: 150
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom