What's new

Need help on chert/flint identification

smokeythecat

Platinum Member
Joined
Nov 22, 2012
Messages
20,926
Reaction score
41,158
Golden Thread
10
Location
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
10
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently purchased these, with a tag saying found in the midwest. Can anyone ID the type of material the knives and corner tang knife is made of, and also the small "bird" points, and the name of each of these points. We don't get these types around here. Thanks. IMG_0449.webpIMG_0451.webpIMG_0452.webp
 
Upvote 0
Thanks. They group was TN, KY and OH points. This is the only corner tang item I have.
 
Love the corner tang .... one of my favorite types wish I could find one but not sure if they even are found near us ?
 
No, I have never seen one one from Maryland. I think they're a midwest type.
 
No, I have never seen one one from Maryland. I think they're a midwest type.

Yeah I think your rite .... I found a bigger triangle point once with a really long ear in it and I really thought it was one at first.... it was covered in mud I had me fooled for a minute
Here’s pic of it
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1562287924.949162.webp
 
Thanks. They group was TN, KY and OH points. This is the only corner tang item I have.

Is the corner tang the one next to the double notch (Evans?) point? If so it looks like some ancient rework and maybe a soft spot that eroded out vs a classic purpose built corner tang like those found around parts of Texas.
 
Thanks. They group was TN, KY and OH points. This is the only corner tang item I have.
20190707_154812.webp

here is a picture of some recently knapped pieces of what curt's cherts identified as "fort payne black" for comparison. there is a local quarry where i occasionally bring cobbles home to work with my limited skills to attempt to improve knowledge of things i find in the field.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom