NEED HELP TO FIND MY FIRST METAL DETECTOR

Bandit66

Sep 5, 2012
Eagle pass, Tx
Detector(s) used
Looking for my first
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am looking for my first metal detector, the only place I can start is an old dam that is drying up. I went up there a few times to do some fishing and allready found two gold rings, and figured that may be there are more. The terrain is mostly rocks and desertlike around. I would really appreciate if someone could help me out with some tips on what kind of metal detector I could start with. I have seen in some sites the Garret ace 350, and the price fits my budget but dont know if it is the right one for the terrain.

Hey from White Plains, New York! Garrett Ace 350 will work great. So will a Tesoro Compadre, Whites Coin Master, Fisher F2, yadda-yadda-yadda. Do some homework, get a machine and get to swingin!

I would go with the Garrett Ace 250 and with the 100 bucks you save, you can put towards a pro pointer.

I wouldn’t detect without a pin pointer.

The small coil on the ace 250 might come in handy in the rocks.

I would go with the Garrett Ace 250 and with the 100 bucks you save, you can put towards a pro pointer.

The small coil on the ace 250 might come in handy in the rocks.[/QUOTE]

I never owned a Tesoro but have tested them out. Very impressed, very light. All the money is in the quality, not some fancy screen and computer interface, gobbling up all those batts. I say Tesoro.

I never owned a Tesoro but have tested them out. Very impressed, very light. All the money is in the quality, not some fancy screen and computer interface, gobbling up all those batts. I say Tesoro.

Thanks gleaner1, I appreciate the info

Thanks gleaner1, I appreciate the info

Hey, dont take it from me, I know vlf tectin, but I dont know Tesoro. I used one once trying to show the new owner some ropes. Well, actually I do know Tesoro. Great quality, good low almost deceivingly low price, light, low battery consumption, lifetime warranty. If my budget was two or three hundred bucks I would very seriously consider Tesoro. I would never own one though. If I want to spend some money, its all Fisher for me. If I ever spring for a pulse machine, I would seriously consider Tesoro. Terry was being a bit facetious in his post. He is right, all are good. But look at his machines on his avatar, two Tesoros and a whopping 4 or 5 grand minelab. Think about that for a minute.

for that matter an ace 150 would work fine save 2 hundred bucks.mine paid for itself in a year
though that might be slow.

bevo I dont study Tesoro but I think they sell better machines in the 150 range. If anyone is worried about getting a return on investment for a metal detector, they are in for a rude awakening.

I use a Tesoro and a Whites. I use and like them both. They are both older machines and still kick butt. For the money, as has been said before, it's hard to beat a tesoro. I personally like having one with a ground balance control and ID meter.

You note that there are a lot of rocks were your considering hunting. It has been my experience when hunting a rocky/gravel beach to not overlook iffy signals. The rocks/gravel can cause shallowly covered metal objects like coins ect. to sound like trash. Use your foot or small shovel to move the loose overlay and quite often the you'll find the trashy sounding item under the gravel is actually a good target that is being partially masked by the mineralization in the stones/gravel. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

I have only used an old tesoro amigo,and it was sweet,i agree you cant go wrong with them.I just have more expierience
with garrett and fisher.as for the returns the hobby itself is the return.

Me too! I need advice on a metal detector that is good in wet
Sand and dry sand. Oh, and not too expensive. Thanks for everyone's help!

Tesoro,made in America with a Lifetime warranty.

Are you guys for real?

Best beginner detector is garett ace 150. It is cheap and easy to use but also very good. No whites or any else... after he find out how garett ace 150 works and get some skill he can sell it and buy ace 350. I had many detectors and ace series is better than any other garett detector no matter of price, better than any whites or tesoro(except for gold), bounty hunter( if you ask me it is junk ).

It is not important where detector is made (duh!) but to find something...

I found my first Roman coin with ace 150 so i say-buy it :thumbsup:

Last edited:

The small coil on the ace 250 might come in handy in the rocks.
[/QUOTE]

Why would you buy pinpointer if you already have pinpoint on ace 250? I think it is better to save 100$ for gas or digging tools/equipment.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back