What's new

Need help with a bullet I.D.

matt092079

Bronze Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2011
Messages
2,035
Reaction score
1,331
Golden Thread
3
Location
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
3
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, I have a bullet that i'd like to have an I.D. on. I've been detecting this CW campsite area and in one corner of the field there is LOADS of spencer carbine bullets along with a couple other smaller callibur bullets. BUT walking out of that corner to the next corner I find a whole bunch of colt pistol bullets and then there is another bullet I find in this section. It's never oxidized white like the others, but it's silver/gray instead. The photo is below. I wonder why in such a short distance there is different types of bullets found...hardly no spencers are found. It's prob. the length of maybe 2 football fields or better from one end to the other. Just kinda weird to me!

I have a comparison of the bullet with a spencer and a colt.
 

Attachments

  • bulletI.D.webp
    bulletI.D.webp
    14.9 KB · Views: 406
  • bulletI.D.2.webp
    bulletI.D.2.webp
    15.5 KB · Views: 403
  • compared.webp
    compared.webp
    25.8 KB · Views: 544
I found two of those one on my last hunt there hope we can find out what they are. Pictured right. it still has some of the caseing on it.
 

Attachments

  • 2-18-2012 cw finds 004.webp
    2-18-2012 cw finds 004.webp
    9.8 KB · Views: 495
  • 2-18-2012 cw finds 004.webp
    2-18-2012 cw finds 004.webp
    9.8 KB · Views: 479
Upvote 0
Matt and Flyinryan, your find is a Burnside .54 Carbine bullet. That bullet's brass casing was rather thin, so it is almost always dug with little or none of its casing remaining.

Matt mentioned its grey patina, "not oxidized white like the others." That is because Burnside bullets were made of a mixture of lead with a little antimony, so they would be harder than a pure-lead bullet. Only pure-lead bullets get the white oxidation.
 
Upvote 0
Thanks for the I.D.! Is that why they seem to be a bit more lightweight than the others?
 
Upvote 0
The Burnside bullet contained only a very small amount of antimony in the lead, not enough to make a "significant" difference in the bullet's weight. The main reason the Spencer bullet is heavier is that it is longer than the Burnside. According to the book "A Handbook of Civil War bullets & Cartridges", the length of an uncorroded Burnside bullet is .80-inch, and an uncorroded Spencer bullet's length is .92-inch.

By the way, I thought you might like to see a complete Burnside cartridge, so you will recognize the casing if you dig one. The specimen in the photo is "non-dug" condition ...and very unfortunately, somebody has recently shined up the brass casing -- which makes it look like a modern-made Reproduction.
 

Attachments

  • cartridge_Burnside_54-caliber_non-dug.webp
    cartridge_Burnside_54-caliber_non-dug.webp
    14.8 KB · Views: 265
Upvote 0
Thanks bud. That's a very interesting cartridge. I mean to each their own on cleaning things, but I personally love the aged look over the new look.
 
Upvote 0
TheCannonballGuy said:
Matt and Flyinryan, your find is a Burnside .54 Carbine bullet. That bullet's brass casing was rather thin, so it is almost always dug with little or none of its casing remaining.

Matt mentioned its grey patina, "not oxidized white like the others." That is because Burnside bullets were made of a mixture of lead with a little antimony, so they would be harder than a pure-lead bullet. Only pure-lead bullets get the white oxidation.

Thanks TheCannonballGuy, Its fun learning about the finds. :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom