✅ SOLVED Need help with a couple coins

Tony (NC)

Dec 3, 2008
Claremont, NC
I just got back from a business trip to Texas. Before I left, my colleague in Dallas said that he heard I was a coin collector. He dropped these two coins in my hand before I headed to the airport. Can anyone give me a positive ID on these? Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• 1734OBV.jpg
    1734OBV.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 101
  • 1734REV.jpg
    1734REV.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 95
  • CoinIDOBV.jpg
    CoinIDOBV.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 98
  • CoinIDREV.jpg
    CoinIDREV.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 102
  • CoinIDSXS.jpg
    CoinIDSXS.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 104
The first coin depicts a Roman coin of Constans...but there are a few things not right with it, on the reverse the coin should read VOT XX MVLT XXX. The N is also backwards perhaps a mistake, the Mint SMANS I think should be SMANZ unless a unlisted officiana for S.

SS

Last edited:
Upvote 0
[DN] CONSTAN-TIVS PF AVG is Constantius II, I think. The mint is an odd one, as SS points out, as unless its a poorly done 'Z' at the end its hard to find.

I will get Dad to check the books & report back...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
[DN] CONSTAN-TIVS PF AVG is Constantius II, I think. The mint is an odd one, as SS points out, as unless its a poorly done 'Z' at the end its hard to find.

I will get Dad to check the books & report back...
I found one with the Mint SMANS on a Constantius 1, but the reverse was different.

SS

Upvote 0
I found one with the Mint SMANS on a Constantius 1, but the reverse was different.

SS

Spoke with Dad in the car the SMANS does exist for a few Emporers, but not many posted on the net, so will look it up in RIC shortly.

Upvote 0
Cru'Dad's thoughts:

This is a CONSTANTIUS II AD347-348 AE3/4 from the Antiochia mint (now Antakiyah, Turkey). There were 15 Officina parts of the Mint of which the S at the end of SMANS was one. So you could have SMANA, SMANB, SMANZ etc to name a few others. Such a coin is normally 15-16mm dia weighing approx 1.67gm. In the Sears(88) volume it is coin Ref No 4000 Obverse showing D N CONSTAN-TIVS PF AVG with a Diadem Head right. Reverse is VOT XX MVLT XXX in four lines within a Wreath. In RIC Vol VIII it is like Coin Ref No 113 under Antioch Mint page 521 classified as a common occurrence.

Upvote 0
Cru'Dad's thoughts:

This is a CONSTANTIUS II AD347-348 AE3/4 from the Antiochia mint (now Antakiyah, Turkey). There were 15 Officina parts of the Mint of which the S at the end of SMANS was one. So you could have SMANA, SMANB, SMANZ etc to name a few others. Such a coin is normally 15-16mm dia weighing approx 1.67gm. In the Sears(88) volume it is coin Ref No 4000 Obverse showing D N CONSTAN-TIVS PF AVG with a Diadem Head right. Reverse is VOT XX MVLT XXX in four lines within a Wreath. In RIC Vol VIII it is like Coin Ref No 113 under Antioch Mint page 521 classified as a common occurrence.
I think I counted about 25 words that I understood in your posting!:laughing7:
Man, I gotta get out more!
Great friend, by the way,
Kudos!
Carl

Upvote 0
Cru'Dad's thoughts:

Did your Dad not see the backward N, which should have been M.

SS

Upvote 0
Info about the coin:

KM# 85 3 SOLS (Pezetta)
4.5000 g., Billon
Ruler: Honore III
Obv: Bust right
Rev:Cruciform crowned H's with diamonds in angles, date above

125 (VG), 250 (F), 500 (VF), 1,100 (XF)

I never knew old Monégasque coins were so valuable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well....one thing is for sure......

I need to send this guy a Christmas card this year! :laughing7: Holy Cow! How cool is that? He said he's got a hundreds of Roman coins and a huge collection of coins from all over the world. He inherited the collection and from what I understand, it's worth a fortune.
Hey I want to thank you guys for the information on these coins. You guys sure know your stuff!:hello2: Thanks again for all your efforts Gentlemen. You are the best! :notworthy:

Tony

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back