Need help with a silver spoon

Jul 7, 2020
Vermont
Detector(s) used
An old radio shack, simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got this in a box with my dads old collections and it looked old to me. It is sterling and I think it is British. A date or other info would be great. image.jpg image.jpg
Here are the hallmarks.
image.jpg
It is a little hard to see but I think it is a walking lion/tiger, an anchor, and a bust of somone or a heart? image.jpg there was also this design on the front.

OP
OP
Vermont treasure hunter
Jul 7, 2020
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was also an x with a circle around it a little higher up from the hall marks.

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, if itā€™s British, that isnā€™t a hallmarkā€¦ ie itā€™s not silver. It looks more like an American pseudo-hallmark. Either way, I donā€™t recognise the maker. The letters after the pseudo-hallmarks appear to read ā€˜BTā€¦ā€™ followed by what might be an ā€˜E/Fā€™ and possibly then an ā€˜Rā€™. Doesnā€™t mean anything to me Iā€™m afraid.

The pattern is very similar to one used by the Rockford Silver Plate Company, Benedict Manufacturing, E.H.H. Smith and the Toronto Silver Plate company. Variously known as Rose/York Rose/LaFrance Rose and dating from 1910.

Rose.jpg

I suspect itā€™s a close copy of that pattern from around the same time by a lesser American maker. Whatever that curious design is, itā€™s clearly been added after manufacture (rather crudely) for some unknown purpose.

Upvote 0

Joecoins

Mar 21, 2016
PEI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your lion hallmark is backwards . I have seen fake sterling spoons from italy with backwards wording and hallmarks..

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your lion hallmark is backwards . I have seen fake sterling spoons from italy with backwards wording and hallmarks..

Not only that, but our hallmarks are contained within separate cartouches which have distinctive shapes according to the period and assay office. An anchor would be the city mark for Birmingham, the lion passant facing left would be the sterling mark (not necessarily in that order), and the third cartouche would have the date letter. But they would be presented like this (for Birmingham, 1920):

Birmingham.jpg

Many countries produced items using imitations of these marks which fall short of 'fake' in the sense that they aren't exact replications. America was the major culprit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again, very similar, but it's not a Gorham Lancaster pattern.

Here's a better view (than 'replacements.com gives) of the OP's piece with the Gorham Lancaster pattern below:

Gorham.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Vermont treasure hunter
Jul 7, 2020
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dolt know if you can see, but the word next to the hallmarks is sterling. It looked weird on the photo.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dolt know if you can see, but the word next to the hallmarks is sterling. It looked weird on the photo.

That makes more sense. The first letter looked more like a 'B' in your pictures, which didn't make sense. The other comments still stand. Not British hallmarks and not Gorham Lancaster pattern. Good to see it's marked 'Sterling' although that gives no guarantee it is.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions