Good Morning Hot zone,
I've used this method many years ago before all the TV shows and before so many folks came into the "Hobby" to make a killing instead of just enjoying it, I'd guess those would be the ones that do not fill in their holes. So for those who just enjoy being out this is what I did - the card had my name, a short sentence about the hobby I have, that I'm willing to give them a half hour of yard work for the opportunity to detect their yard and here is the touchy part I "probe" with a 1/8" diameter probe so I do not dig holes but IF you dig then you have to somehow reassure them that their lawn will not be damaged. Keep the card short and simple and to the point, verbally ask if they have lost anything in the yard that you could return to them should you find it or in other words, What can You do for them to say thank you for gaining access to their yard!
I had good success with this approach. Then if there are children around that belong at the house you can share with them what you are doing by unplugging the earphones so they can hear. Then if they ask if they can have the next piece of "junk" that you take out of the ground tell them sure! I had the best time at one home where the three children, two boys and their sister, followed me around when the little girl hit on the idea of getting the trash. The next thing that came out of the ground was a 45 ACP bullet complete with rifling! The boys were crestfallen to say the least. The next item was more or less junk and that went to the oldest boy. The next item, when I pulled it out and saw what it was made me wonder what I should do so I told the youngest of the boys who's turn it was for this piece of junk that he had to take it to his Dad to ask if it was OK for him to have. He RAN into the house screaming Dad, Dad look what he Found! He also came screaming back out of the house Dad said I could Keep It and he's going to put it in oil to soak!!!!!! He was so excited about his new to him pocket knife. Have fun, share it with others, dress neatly, be polite, give something to your benefactors and simply be thankful for your chance to detect this possible undetected jackpot of ground. Hint, look for the oldest parts of town. Clue - Big Trees shout at you "over here".
Ok, hope this helps!
63bkpkr