Need help with button

nitnelyons

Mar 10, 2013
Central Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
On my 3rd Tesoro Vaquero. Sold the first two because I fell for all the "Hype" on the XP Deus, and Equinox. Will not sell/trade this one.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My brother had found this in a creek. On front of button, "VIRGINIA SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS". Nothing on the back. He also found a barber dime, an Indian head, and lots of merc's in the area he hunted, near a boy scout camp. If anyone knows of the time period, date, value, if real, or reproduction, he would appreciate the information.
IMG_0936.JPG IMG_0937.JPG IMG_0938.JPG IMG_0939.JPG IMG_0940.JPG

Upvote 2

mirage83

Dec 20, 2009
NW Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, XLT
Thought I might have a line on it but the blank back ruled that one out. Maybe a locally manufactured item?

Last edited:

OneWetKnee

May 26, 2013
New Brunswick, Canada
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a Virginia state seal button. View attachment 816285

close but i believe its this one.

bu70_1.jpg

VIRGINIA STATE SEAL - VA13 - 24mm - B/M - Scovill Mfg. CO. Waterbury RMDC. Virtus' spear rests on elbow, sword pointed down. 'Virginia' and 'Sic Semper Tyrannis' along outer edge

this one was posted for $235 USD

bigbry

Greenie
Jun 16, 2013
It does have to do with virginia!!!! My questions is this.... Do the coins that were found in the area of the button share any common dates? Or near the same dates! Might help you put a date or decade to it... for the latin translation of Sic semper tyrannis go to the provided link......
http:/en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sic_semper_tyrannis
Hope this helps

ynpto804

Jan 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Sun-ray X-5 coil and X-1 Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice button. It is a Indian wars era Va state seal button not a Tice Va13. You can tell b the large rim on this 3 piece button, the lettering of the state motto and the plain back mark. I would not attempt to do anything else to it as far as cleaning. It would probably only turn it even more red. It is a lovely button and a very nice find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread