What's new

Need help with diesel engine ID

rmptr

Silver Member
Joined
Dec 25, 2007
Messages
3,302
Reaction score
25
Golden Thread
0
Location
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
This is NOT detector oriented, but this group here on Tnet is the wisest collection of folks I know of !

An online friend need to identify this 4cyl diesel engine.

Can anyone ID it for us?

Thank you
 

Attachments

  • EnglandDiesel1.webp
    EnglandDiesel1.webp
    50.5 KB · Views: 419
  • EnglandDiesel5.webp
    EnglandDiesel5.webp
    52.4 KB · Views: 416
  • EnglandDiesel6.webp
    EnglandDiesel6.webp
    41.9 KB · Views: 412
Real long shot - Isuzu made a 4-cylinder diesel called an "X20". Just a guess.
 
Upvote 0
Side note - that Fram fuel filter also fits Volvo and Pugeot diesels
 
Upvote 0
danthecanuck said:
What are the spark plugs doing on a diesel??


Those are the glow plugs, they heat up the cylinder so the engine will start easier. They are what you are waiting on while the "wait" light is on after the key is turned on;

when the light goes off, the engine is ready to be started.

Sky Pilot
 
Upvote 0
Yep, those are glow plugs, but my friend has a diesel with spark plugs and a distributor in it.
 
Upvote 0
@ Cheese: My uncle had a tractor that started on gasoline and then you switched to the other tank and it operated on diesel, so it had spark plugs too.

When I saw it back in the 1960's it was already old and I don't have a clue what brand it was, would you happen to know Cheese? I would like to see another one like that, it was odd.


Regards

Sky Pilot
 
Upvote 0
You got it... and I do know. It's a farmall 450 tricycle style tractor. I always thought it was novel that it was a diesel with spark plugs though. I worked on it a time or two for him.
 
Upvote 0
Looks like a Kubota motor , not sure as I can not see the the details on the engine .
They make tractors with those type of engine's .
 
Upvote 0
cheese said:
You got it... and I do know. It's a farmall 450 tricycle style tractor. I always thought it was novel that it was a diesel with spark plugs though. I worked on it a time or two for him.

Wow!! Thanks Cheese! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Novel for sure, I'm not aware of anything else that does the same thing.

Did you mean you worked on my uncles tractor?

Regards

Sky Pilot
 
Upvote 0
Sky Pilot said:
cheese said:
You got it... and I do know. It's a farmall 450 tricycle style tractor. I always thought it was novel that it was a diesel with spark plugs though. I worked on it a time or two for him.

Wow!! Thanks Cheese! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Novel for sure, I'm not aware of anything else that does the same thing.

Did you mean you worked on my uncles tractor?

Regards

Sky Pilot

It was not uncommon back in the 40's and 50's to find diesel engines that started on
petrol first, particularly large capacity engines.
I drove an International TD24 dozer back in the day that started this way. It was equipped
with 'starter valves' that you first set open to lower the compression, then cranked normally
to start on petrol. Spark was supplied to each cylinder through a magneto and spark plugs.
When the engine had warmed up enough, you closed the starter valves to provide full
compression and opened the throttle to introduce diesel and the engine would run as a diesel.
Here is a video of the very procedure on a slightly smaller engine (TD18). If you listen at
0:54, you will hear it shifting to diesel.

 
Upvote 0
Kiwijohn said:
It was not uncommon back in the 40's and 50's to find diesel engines that started on
petrol first, particularly large capacity engines.
I drove an International TD24 dozer back in the day that started this way. It was equipped
with 'starter valves' that you first set open to lower the compression, then cranked normally
to start on petrol. Spark was supplied to each cylinder through a magneto and spark plugs.
When the engine had warmed up enough, you closed the starter valves to provide full
compression and opened the throttle to introduce diesel and the engine would run as a diesel.
Here is a video of the very procedure on a slightly smaller engine (TD18). If you listen at
0:54, you will hear it shifting to diesel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smpPU1wi4rw&feature=related


Wow!!! Thank you so much KiwiJohn!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: It seems so out of place to hear one of those run today!
AWESOME video! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:


Sky Pilot
 
Upvote 0
Guys! Talk about hijacking a post!!!! This thread is not about a Farmall tractor although...if someone was to read the last few posts...it appears this "what is it?" is solved.
 
Upvote 0
Kieth-Tx said:
Guys! Talk about hijacking a post!!!! This thread is not about a Farmall tractor although...if someone was to read the last few posts...it appears this "what is it?" is solved.

Yep....sorry about the hijack, but the subject was taking an interesting
turn... for some anyway :)
Back to the original engine.. I would go with Isuzu 4cyl. Maybe a BD or BG series. There are some clues to be had from the photo. Clutch would indicate automotive application, but could include forklift. It has heater hoses, so again automotive. Auxillary belt-driven pump could be power steer. ....But...
There are 2 clues that indicate to me that this is a re-power. It has been fitted with a remote engine oil filter. See the hoses coming off the engine block and laying at the back of the engine..then into a crudely adapted oil filter base. Means the stock filter location did not suit the new application. Ditto for the hose coming off the oil pressure adapter on the flywheel housing.
Hope this is of some help and makes up for the hijack :)
John
 
Upvote 0
rmptr said:
Kieth-Tx said:
The pic shows a similar engine....appears to be Land Rover maybe.

http://img.youtube.com/vi/IoH2WA7ilqw/0.jpg

Tnx Keith, it appears that's it!


..and I enjoy the vid of the TD-18 !

Hi rm... Glad you enjoyed the video :icon_thumright:
The photo supplied by kieth (sp) is of a 5 cylinder engine. Yours is a 4 cylinder, plus there are many more differences visible between the two.
 
Upvote 0
Could not find an exact match but the one i posted has alot ofthe same features. The injectors & pump location & type are very similar but look like a later model.
 
Upvote 0
Sorry 'bout the hijack. No, I didn't mean I worked on your uncles' tractor... I worked on my friends'.

The diesel pictured doesn't look domestic to me. Looks european or maybe asian. Kubota is a possibility. I have three kubota 3 cylinder diesel engines but none have close similarities to these (engine makers often use the same oil cap, or injector pump, or other items on several different engines). I was a car mechanic for years but this one doesn't ring a bell with me.

Just my input, which isn't much help.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom