What's new

Need help with ID of early ceramics

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2008
Messages
4,715
Reaction score
6,220
Golden Thread
6
Location
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
6
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I found these shards in a trash pit along with quite a few other artifacts at the site where I found the 2 scattered hammered silver caches here in SE Virginia 3 years ago. Been trying to get an ID on these early shards. Are they a form of delftware? To what time period do they date? Based on a Binford regression analysis I performed on 100+ pipe stems found in the same pit, I calculated an average date of occupancy for the site of 1640. I was thinking the ceramics dated to the mid-1600s which would be in line with the other finds. Also, the lastest date on any of the 27 hammered coins was about 1640. Can anyone verify that the shards date to about the same time period, and what type they are? Thanks for any help ..... Bill
 

Attachments

  • hammered45.webp
    hammered45.webp
    114.9 KB · Views: 417
Just found your post.And can say I use shards like you have there to go by to do my hunts.As it's one of the first things I normally see the way I hunt.Also let's face it I've never seen a map for these time frames that was accurate.At best if you find a map showing anything it's still alot of guess work in trying to figure out were the site is.As maps from back then are very roughly done but are still amazing to me being they had no aerial view to go by.Anyway the best site I've found for shard Id's is the one below.Yours looks to be early tin glaze,which was lead glaze with tin oxide added,& painted with blue and polychrome designs.
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:
About tin glaze.....
http://www.jefpat.org/diagnostic/Historic_Ceramic_Web_Page/Historic Ware Descriptions/tin_glazed.htm
Pics. of types of tin glaze.........
http://www.jefpat.org/diagnostic/Hi...toric Ware Descriptions/tin_glazed_images.htm
 
Upvote 0
RELICDUDE07 said:
spanish majolica

Thanks for the help. Do you have any web references that would show pics or have any other info regarding the specific design shown in my pic? Can you date the shards? Also, there have been some Dutch artifacts found at this site as well, so could this be Dutch majolica? Appreciate any assistance you can provide ..... Bill
 
Upvote 0
Building on the two foregoing responses - see here for more help "It is variously called faience, majolica, and delftware. Essentially it is lead glaze made opaque by the addition of tin oxide; tin glaze was no doubt originally devised to conceal flaws of colour in a fired-clay body." http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/596482/tin-glazed-earthenware

Has a picture of a 17th century plate from holland that looks similar.
 
Upvote 0
It could be Dutch Majolica of the Italian or Wan Li style - made to imitate Chinese porcelain. Here is a page out of a book I have called "Before Albany" - has much about artifacts of the Dutch in Albany, NY-

"Pre-1640 Dutch Tableware from Fort Orange"

6ozqq8.jpg


2ce4vq1.jpg
 
Upvote 0
I don't know if my typing will show up this time. ;D Somtimes I think it must be invisible type. :laughing9: Anyway gonna give ya every site I have that is related to old colonial shards.I'm in the process of packing & will be turning my computer off for awhile in the next couple days.Don't know for sure when I'll be back up running so thought I'd give these sites to ya to look through.
Take care,
Pete, :hello:
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/16277/16277-h/16277-h.htm
http://www.virtualjamestown.org/images/artifacts/jamestown.html
http://research.history.org/DigitalLibrary/View/index.cfm?doc=ResearchReports\RR1554.xml
http://research.history.org/DigitalLibrary/View/index.cfm?doc=ResearchReports\RR1293.xml
http://www.sonofthesouth.net/revolutionary-war/colonies/original-thirteen-colonies.htm
http://www.virginiadigs.net/broaddus_flats/essays/evidence/evidence_2.html
http://www.ahs-inc.biz/Sprague/foodways.html
 
Upvote 0
What did he say :laughing9:

Reminds me of 17th C Spanish
 
Upvote 0
:D :laughing9: :laughing7: Reminds me of 21st century dixie paper plates. :laughing7: I've got a 30 cal rubbermaid trash can full of colonial shards I hope to sort through one day maybe you could help with that. :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :tongue3: I'm sure I've seen that design but I'm not digging it all out til I get moved.Eitherway it could be Portuguese majolica or english delft but no matter what it was tin glazed & polychome was used in his pieces.Blue- cobalt oxide enamel, which fired blue,Polychrome decorations are also known, particularly on early 17th century vessels and again after ca. 1690, and were made with other metallic oxides including iron, which made red; copper, which made green; and antimony, which made yellow.
Did find some more sites in my favorites which are very good........
http://w3.salemstate.edu/~ebaker/chadweb/chadceram/chadceramics.html
http://w3.salemstate.edu/~ebaker/Phipsweb/phipsalbum.html
http://w3.salemstate.edu/~ebaker/Beanweb/beanceramics.html
http://w3.salemstate.edu/~ebaker/Arrowsic/arrceramics.html
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom