backyardarcheologist
Tenderfoot
- #1
Thread Owner
Hey everyone!
I've been doing some digging in my back yard (long story) and finding a lot of pockets of buried trash. With two exceptions, I've been able to date each hole to a tight ~5 year range. The majority of items range from 1923 to 1938, with some as late 1952 and one china plate from 1895.
Background:
Site 2C has been troublesome to date, as it didn't have much and didn't contain any easily dateable items like Owens-Illinois glass bottles. I found it within a few feet of two other small clusters of trash:
My Problem:
I found this plate in 2C, depicting a pagoda on a sea cliff with a cherry(?) tree in the foreground. It's completely unmarked, except for "Made In Japan" stamped on the back in blue lettering. My guess, based on 2A and 2B, is that it was buried in the 1940s to early 1950s. It could be much older, however, because I found a plate from 1895 buried at the same depth as items from the early 1950s. My guess is that was a family heirloom; this could be too.
Can anyone help? In the photo, the tape measure is in inches.
<=
I've been doing some digging in my back yard (long story) and finding a lot of pockets of buried trash. With two exceptions, I've been able to date each hole to a tight ~5 year range. The majority of items range from 1923 to 1938, with some as late 1952 and one china plate from 1895.
Background:
Site 2C has been troublesome to date, as it didn't have much and didn't contain any easily dateable items like Owens-Illinois glass bottles. I found it within a few feet of two other small clusters of trash:
- 2A contains items from (probably) 1945-1952 but no more than 1940-1954.
- 2B had only two items I could date, from 1942 and 1945.
My Problem:
I found this plate in 2C, depicting a pagoda on a sea cliff with a cherry(?) tree in the foreground. It's completely unmarked, except for "Made In Japan" stamped on the back in blue lettering. My guess, based on 2A and 2B, is that it was buried in the 1940s to early 1950s. It could be much older, however, because I found a plate from 1895 buried at the same depth as items from the early 1950s. My guess is that was a family heirloom; this could be too.
Can anyone help? In the photo, the tape measure is in inches.
<=
Last edited:







