Need help with lead objects!

LeFrog

Tenderfoot
May 28, 2007
Northern Europe
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT & PI1000 / Minelab Excalibur
Hello Folks.

I am 33 years old and a newbie from Europe. Mainly I am searching underwater. I got a Whites MXT for the land-searching, a Whites PI1000 and a Minlab Excalibur for the underwater searching. Yesterday I sold my old and dependable Fisher CZ-20 because I had some spare part problems. It is not so easy to get some special parts here in Europe. I am searching with detectors since 4 years.

We have a large spectrum of artefacts (stoneage/medieval/WW2) here in my region but I am only a collector and no dealer. My main interest is the founding of old stoneage places at the seashore. We have some very interesting places here. But now back to my problem.

I have some items that I cant identify since 2 years. It is very irritating for me that I have some of them in my vitrines and I cant say my friends what exactly it is!

So I would like to try to identify them here. In this posting I would like to beginn with three objects made of lead. I found them in the water, lying on the seabed. I think they must be old. In the history of the city there was a small harbour since 1400 a.C..

Before I searched the first time in that area I readed some archeological books about the spot. There are a lot of old lead, ceramic fragments and splinter of glass in the mud and in the sand. But they are really old, I think before 1700. These three items have the same style and I dont know where they used for. I think it could be a type of an early clinometer, for balancing the ships freight on old sailships but I dont know if its true. I ask a lot of poeple here in my region, some old fisher too and I am study a lot of books but without any results. The scale I used for the photos are in centimeter.

Sorry for my bad "school" english!

With best regards from the western Baltic Sea
LeFrog

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 831
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 828
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 832

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum, LeFrog! Just looking at the items, They may be fittings for a wagon or carrage or even some type of building. I don't think ships would use lead or whatever the material is. There are several here that might be able to help you though. Your english is good, do not worry about that.
DG :D

Upvote 0

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe weights for duck-decoys ?

mojjax

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found them in the water, lying on the seabed. I think they must be old. In the history of the city there was a small harbour since 1400 a.C..

Before I searched the first time in that area I readed some archeological books about the spot. There are a lot of old lead, ceramic fragments and splinter of glass in the mud and in the sand.

Any chance these were part of a decoration in or on a Christian church whose location in ancient times is now under water? Note similarity to the Greek symbols in the pic.

monogram-of-christ384x389vatican.jpg

The Labarum has been a symbol of the church since Constantine 1.

DCMatt

Upvote 0

Angelo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2006
Idaho
Good to meet you LeFrog.

I did a search for symbols and found these from Lithuania. I don't know what area of the Baltic Sea you live in, but perhaps, a search for your country on symbols may reveal something.

Tony

It also looks like you paid good attention in your English class.

Attachments

• 9_.jpg
    9_.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 628
Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That should be, "paid attention well...." LOL Couldn't help it, sorry. Looks like it might be braces where parts of furniture came together? M ;) nty

Upvote 0

Angelo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2006
Idaho
Monty said:
That should be, "paid attention well...." LOL Couldn't help it, sorry. Looks like it might be braces where parts of furniture came together? M ;) nty

Goes to show you where my head was in English classes.

Tony

Upvote 0

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Angelo said:
Monty said:

Tony
Well if everyone is going after you, I will too.
Class, singular not plural.

heheheheh
;D
DG's

Upvote 0

Angelo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2006
Idaho
dg39 said:
Angelo said:
Monty said:

Tony

heheheheh
;D
DG's

True. I was only enrolled in one class through out my education. Hence....To %^*) with you guys! I'm going back to bed.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
LeFrog

LeFrog

Tenderfoot
May 28, 2007
Northern Europe
Detector(s) used
Hello Folks.

@dg39
>Looks like it might be braces where parts of furniture came together?
Braces made of lead? ???
It think lead is to much flexible for using it on funiture. Perhaps, you are right?
I think lead plays a larger rule in the history of ships. In the history bronce, copper and brass where very expensive, so I think some parts where build out of lead, especially when these unimportant parts often get lost on sea (example storms). I mean the time of 15th to the 16th century. Lead is very resistent against saltwater and oxidation! Thank you but my english is in deed a little bit rusted because I am out of school since 13 years. :-\

@mojjax
Thank you for the tip, but we had no duck hunting here. :)

@DCMatt
Thank you. It is a good resource, I will check it up. In the history the city was a small commercial town especially for the seatrade.

We can exclude the using of lead for an early type of Libra. I dont know what these objects for, it is unbelievable. I have a large collection of books here with a lot of pictures of maritime findings from shipwrecks but nothing matches to my items. I visited some museums and take a lot of pictures from there artefacts but nothing matches. I am sure they are maritime objects. Last year I asked some archaeologist about the lead items but they dont find an answer. I have some other objects but I will wait some more time with this thread. I hope someone could help me with that sorrowful puzzle! ;)

Is it possible, that these parts are items of old fishermans or angler (I think they are to heavy for angler)?

By the way, I am a skilled shipbuilder.

Thank you all & waiting for more hints ...
LeFrog

Upvote 0

ryanc11

Jun 1, 2006
Angelo said:
dg39 said:
Angelo said:
Monty said:

Tony

heheheheh
;D
DG's

True. I was only enrolled in one class through out my education. Hence....To %^*) with you guys! I'm going back to bed.

Tony, if it makes you feel any better I think your first sentence was correct (actually both versions are correct) - .."paid good attention" is perfectly fine, as is ..."paid attention well". 'Good' modifies nouns, in this case "attention". 'Well' modifies verbs, in this case "paid". So rejoice you both are correct!!! :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
LeFrog

LeFrog

Tenderfoot
May 28, 2007
Northern Europe
Detector(s) used
Hello Mary Ann.

Nice to meet you! ;)

Why are you thinking they are parts of these devices, do you have further informations about that or some pictures of measuring devices?

I am very interested about your theory.

With best regards from the old world ...
LeFrog

Upvote 0

wirelessworldinc

Dec 30, 2005
Indiana
LeFrog said:
Hello Mary Ann.

Nice to meet you! ;)

Why are you thinking they are parts of these devices, do you have further informations about that or some pictures of measuring devices?

I am very interested about your theory.

With best regards from the old world ...
LeFrog

No I have no information what so ever. Just an uneducated guess LOL. I love this section of treasurenet. Trying to guess what it is, very rarely do I guess it right. Mary ann

Upvote 0

Zephyr

Nov 26, 2006
The only thing that comes to mind (for me) of what they could be used for is as balance scales of some kind (such as by hanging it from the upper hole by a string, or resting the "v" on a surface.) But, something like that would most likely be made of a stronger metal than lead.

Upvote 0

lonesomebob

Jul 14, 2005
Napoleon MI 49201
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Hi; Dont let these guys pick on you, build a ship and come on over and box their ears. Your english is better than many who come here to live and refuse to blend in. Good for you.

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A quick story about good and well. ::) My old English teacher critiqued my term paper in front of the class one day and pointed out several misuses of good and well. She said good was a measure of quality and well was a measure of success. Being the smarta$$ that I was/am I said aloud, "Well, that's good to know"! The principal said he didn't think it was funny either, so he sat me down in his outer office and gave me an Outdoor Life magazine to read until the class was over. I overheard him having a good laugh with his secretary over it. They both giggled well. Monty P.S. I haven't a clue what your mystery items are.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread