Need help with markings on a chain

WINTERBEAR

Sep 20, 2012
eastern Wa
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi guys wasn't sure where to post this so since I watch here most and a lot of you buy precious metals we can see what theses marks may be. So the last 3 links on one end of the chain are solders together with a plate as seen in the first picture. On that plate left to right is a number (6,8,9?) next looks to be a open C and last is what looks to be a crescent.

image-1877723046.jpg

So it looks and feels like gold to me let me know what you think. Chris

Attachments

• image-1831150817.jpg
    image-1831150817.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 114
  • image-2521242690.jpg
    image-2521242690.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 126

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be European mark for gold content? It is gold in color...Right? Could it say 925? It could be gold plated silver? When you open the clasp are there any markings on it? Sorry not much help!

isabella1

Mar 2, 2013
To me it looks like it says OTC? It's kind of hard for me to tell in the pictures though. I think There a company in Italy makes a gold necklaces.

OP
OP
W

WINTERBEAR

Sep 20, 2012
eastern Wa
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can zoom in and see a bit more detail on the pics but I will try and get clearer ones this evening. The left character is definitely a number the center one is open to the right and to me looks like a Capitol C, then the bar what I think Isabella is seeing I think it just a raised area between the center and right stamps, the the last one on the right looks to me like a crescent or a orange slice if you look close there are 2 protrusions into the inner arc of the crescent shape. No marks on the hasp. To me it looks like a older chain with a newer hasp added the links on the hasp look like gold but are not soldered.

OP
OP
W

WINTERBEAR

Sep 20, 2012
eastern Wa
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It is a short chain approx 15 inches with a non matching religious medallion. Basically why it has me stumped the chain shows more wear that clasp, then having the split rings not soldered but the pictured piece with the marks is, really leads me to think the chain is much older and reused. Chris

isabella1

Mar 2, 2013
It looks real. I would acid test it If you can or take it to a pawn shop or jewelers. It looks real, I'm not sure of the markings though. I had a 14k clasp that looked like that one. Hope it's real!

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold Hallmarks could the last hallmark be similar/same as the one in the box (3rd down on right side) the Sheffield Assay mark? If so, maybe the 9 is part of "900" or "950" or "990" and the C is actually an 0?

Last edited:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Last time I had a Karat gold chain with a clasp like yours the hallmark was on the male end of the clasp. Looks real to me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions