Need help with plaque

crayve

Sep 16, 2004
I live in Rochester, NY in a house built in approx 1912. I dug this up in the yard and have figured out it is to commemorate the unveiling of a statue to Lafeyette in New York City, but I don't know how common it is or who they were given to. It appears to be made of brass or copper. I'm not good with metals so I'm not sure. If anyone has some info I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Chris

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Looks like a spectacular find-- I wouldn't clean it until an expert looks at it. You might try your local historical society. They would know how to research details on the statue and might turn up something on the medal, and might even want it for their collection.

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Intresting Find CHRIS, good luck with your research

Upvote 0

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
lab rat said:
Looks like a spectacular find-- I wouldn't clean it until an expert looks at it.? You might try your local historical society.? They would know how to research details on the statue and might turn up something on the medal, and might even want it for their collection.
Ditto... ya never know with an item like that...
Depending on who made it, and what it was made for, it could be a very valuable piece...
Great find!!!
Good Luck & Happy Hunting~

Upvote 0

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with omnicognic,however I think maybe it's a souvenir from the unvieling of the statue in the park.I remember reading this post some time ago and I found the same site as omnicognic,just never replied as to what I thought it might be.Just a guess,now that i've considered it again.Good Luck and H.H.!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread