What's new

need help

cooper36

Hero Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2011
Messages
912
Reaction score
198
Golden Thread
0
Location
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i need help to id 1971 coins that are keepers . Someone said they used the 1970 platchlets. how do you tell them apart?
 
Upvote 0
Never heard of such a thing.
But if so...it would be silver
 
conleytheking said:
Never heard of such a thing.
But if so...it would be silver
someone posted on here the other day about it
 
you might find a silver plated one

either weigh it clad are 11.34 , 40% are 11.5 grams

and do the sound test , that never fails!
 
Bigheed said:
you might find a silver plated one

either weigh it clad are 11.34 , 40% are 11.5 grams

and do the sound test , that never fails!
high tones or low tones??
 
If you find a 1971 that looks like a 40%er, take it out and weigh it. Honestly, I've never heard of a 1971 being found with 40% silver planchets, though I suppose it would be possible. But weight will never fail you. The sound test is subjective.
 
I think the Redbook mentions these coins. The edge of a '71 on a '70 planchet would look like a pre '71 40%er. I think some of these were also minted in '77 after the 40% Bicentennials were made. These coins are accidents of course.
 
thanks guys for the help
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom