What's new

Need help!

Eagledigs

Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 17, 2012
Messages
59
Reaction score
14
Golden Thread
0
Location
Hattiesburg, MS
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found this in the Union siege lines in Vicksburg where I have found a a couple of dozen minie balls/buck and ball. It gave a VDI of 82 on the AT Pro and was about 5 inches down. It measures 2 inces in diameter and it appears the "spokes" were all connected but but that piece broke off. Any clues?/Thanks!
 

Attachments

  • 001.webp
    001.webp
    116 KB · Views: 123
  • 002.webp
    002.webp
    164.4 KB · Views: 136
It is the inside wheel of a gyroscope.

Gyroscope.webp
DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
Good God, you amaze me with the ID's DCMatt! Incredible. Now to find out what a gyroscope is doing in a CW site... :D
 
Upvote 0
Thanks Matt! And I agree w/ BuckleBoy..What the heck???
 
Upvote 0
What an interesting find! The gyroscope was invented in the 1850's. I wonder if a soldier was using it to distract himself before the battle. If that's the case, it's a pretty early piece. It does look like it's been in the ground a while. It's ashame that we'll never know.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom