What's new

✅ SOLVED Request identification of this piece of metal found at a private residence in Vicksburg MS

BillZ

Greenie
Joined
Nov 18, 2025
Messages
13
Reaction score
51
Golden Thread
0
I request the identification of this piece of metal found at a private residence in Vicksburg, MS within the area of the siege and battle. The item was located in an area containing Minie Balls, fuses, and percussion caps. I initially thought it was a fragment of a 3-inch Hotchkiss shell but the ridges of my item have raised ridges and the Hotchkiss shell has indentations.

I look forward to your feedback. Respectfully, Bill


IMG_4063.webp
IMG_4064.webp
IMG_4065.webp
IMG_4066.webp
 
What about Shell fragment ?
 
Upvote 0
Gare - thank you for your input. I appreciate it.
ncsuwolf - your suggestion about the schenkl projectile looks sound to me and narrows down the type of shell fragment. I found several photos which show the ridges and overall shape. Looks like a real possibility to my untrained eyes.

Thank you.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was just generalizing. I am by FAR NO shell or schenkl , It just looked like a part of something that had been shot and exploded . I have dug MANY fragments
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom