What's new

Need ID on Old Copper !!

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2005
Messages
8,006
Reaction score
899
Golden Thread
0
Location
Location: Undisclosed
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, :hello:

Going through some old coins I noticed an old copper coin. :o It had a outline of a person I could hardly see. :icon_scratch: I looked at it some more and decided to do a fast hot peroxide bath. :icon_thumleft: Did so and the siluet came in clearer. :o I have no idea what it is and the rest is completely worn flat. :dontknow: I thought one of you experts could help me ID and date this thing, maybe give a value?? ??? Best picture I can get the rest is really worn flat can't see anything on the back. :tongue3: Any help would be great thanks all. :notworthy: :notworthy:

Keep @ it and HH !! ;D :D

Here are the pictures !! :icon_thumleft:
 

Attachments

  • copper1 004.webp
    copper1 004.webp
    86 KB · Views: 345
Looks like 1699-1701 Type 3 William III Halfpenny.

Seems like a trademark for these coppers are, most are worn almost if not flat on the Reverse side and the last details viewable on the Obverse side will be the ribbons and partial outline of William's bust and some letters on the left side. Ribbons are almost always the last thing to wear off on the William III.

Don
 
Upvote 0
Anyone have an image of what this coin should lookm like?? ??? :icon_scratch:

Keep @ it and HH!! :D ;D
 
Upvote 0
MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
Anyone have an image of what this coin should lookm like?? ??? :icon_scratch:

Keep @ it and HH!! :D ;D
 

Attachments

  • Pages 22 - 23.webp
    Pages 22 - 23.webp
    68 KB · Views: 317
  • Pages 22 - 23.webp
    Pages 22 - 23.webp
    68 KB · Views: 317
Upvote 0
Everyones sure this is what it is ?? :icon_scratch:

Thank you all !! :notworthy:

Keep @ it and HH !! ;D :D
 
Upvote 0
Usually helps to give the diameter of a coin when unknown, that can be a great indicator, weight also, if the capability exists. Photos can be misleading, but in this case it fits how most William III halfpence look when being in circulation till the mid to late 1700s.

Don
 
Upvote 0
It is about 27mm and weighs 6.9 grams. ;D

Keep @ it and HH !! :D
 
Upvote 0
This is very interesting, I hunt with Mud once in a while, our earliest settlers in our area came here aprox 1790, and very few at that. He states it may have been found around here, that is about a 100 years earlier then anything we have found around here, if it is what you say? then thats one incredible find.

Pro-
 
Upvote 0
Most William III Halfpence are found in very worn condition becuase they stayed into circulation for up to a hundred years here. A lot that I have found are from sites that are 1780s to 1810 era. Unlike the KGIII coppers that were almost all counterfeits, underweight , thinner; the William III are mostly Regal, full weight and they just plain lasted for a long time, as did the KGII Halfpence.

Don
 
Upvote 0
ok, i guess. there are wheaties still out there in circulation so yeah, i can see that.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom