Need old coin ID/thanks

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Found what seems a very old coin today. Slightly larger and thinner than a quarter. Almost certain it's copper. (Note--photo won't help make out anything here based on my efforts to take one.) Front is large bust of man facing left with two streams of hair or something tieing hair in back of his head. To be exact, there are two streams of hair or ribbon coming from back of head. Only readable letters on front of coin are (from approx. 1 to 3 o'clock positions across top edge ("II REX") or could be "IE REX". Back of coin has what appears to be a person, probably a woman seated on something, with legs in front, facing left. Letters from approx 2-4 o'clock positions across edge are "NIA". That's only detail available. Found in New York. State. (cleaned only with water and rag). True_Metal also found a very cool coin I'll let him tell you about. Will post photos of some other good finds later tonight. Thanks for any help.

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
how about William Wood's HIBRNIA coinage halfpence and farthings from Ireland 1722-1724
but guy is facing RIGHT not left. very old find - cool!

S

sounder

bergie, it really sounds like an english half pence, (I have 3 that I'm looking at right now) but the head is facing right. sounder

C

Charlie in NC

Hi Bergie,
Most likely you`ve found a British Half Penny circa (around 1750- give or take). The legend on the front should read " GEORGIVS II REX" with the bust facing left, and on the reverse the legend will read "BRITANIA" shows a seated lady with a staff and shield. The Hibernia (Irish )version would show a Harp with a woman`s head under a Crown. These are not super valuable- but a neat find just the same. Go back and hit that spot again tomorrow! God Bless,-- Charlie in NC ;D ;D ;D

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Charlie got it! Thats exactly what the coin looks like. Excellent find and a great hunt today. We seem to get new goodies every time we go there. My best today was an 1859 Canadian large cent in really good shape with an awesome green patina. Found another old coin, but i dont know what to make of it as i cannot begin to describe it. (Bergie, you will have to check this thing out.) Found some old wheaties, a straight razor, and an old dog whistle. No silver today, but Bergie finding that super old coin made up for it. I absolutely dig this hobby! (pun intended) 8)

OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Thanks to all for the quick replies. Charlie--that is exactly it based on what I can read on it. I could tell right away it was 1700s. This is a great find for me because I have been trying to break into the 1800s from my prior oldest coin of a 1906 Barber dime. I went and skipped right over the 1800s! Thanks again to all. (This was found next to the ruins of a very old stone bridge over a creek on private property and we are sure it hasn't been detected based on all the coins we have found in every era from the one I've found today and 1859 coin True Metal found today and will list (he's probably still out in the dark detecting the site). We've also found early 1900s through present, including many silver (this is "swimming hole" site I've talked about). We finally checked other side of the creek today, though my find was on original side right along side of bridge.

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We pounded that spot today and could not come up with silver. What is wierd is i pulled about 60 cents in clad over there which is on the other side of the creek and not accessible unless you wade, but on the other side which is easliy accessible we pulled all old coins including Bergies real oldie today. Go figure???

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bump up to revise?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread