catchdogcross
Jr. Member
- Joined
- Sep 27, 2008
- Messages
- 55
- Reaction score
- 0
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Detector(s) used
- Tesoro Deleon, Tesoro Tiger Shark
- #1
Thread Owner
Need pointers, detecting burned down farmhouse 1800'ish
Hello all, I've been to this farmhouse site before after it had burned down and the township removed the burned frame and filled in the basement. Problem is the site is extremely trashy with nails, chunks of charcoal that set off my detector for some reason and other metal debris. It's almost impossible to determine which hits are valid and which ones are junk. I use a Tesoro Tigershark, any hints or suggestions on how to get around this would be awesome! Thanks in advance...
Catchdog
ps
The charcoal chunks are nothing more than that,i've smashed a few
with a hammer and it's just charcoal but it still sets off my detector...
Hello all, I've been to this farmhouse site before after it had burned down and the township removed the burned frame and filled in the basement. Problem is the site is extremely trashy with nails, chunks of charcoal that set off my detector for some reason and other metal debris. It's almost impossible to determine which hits are valid and which ones are junk. I use a Tesoro Tigershark, any hints or suggestions on how to get around this would be awesome! Thanks in advance...
Catchdog
ps
The charcoal chunks are nothing more than that,i've smashed a few
with a hammer and it's just charcoal but it still sets off my detector...


but I did check out some other buildings on the property, really neat small wooden cottages with little tiny iron wire fences around them. found a very old copper lipstick case, tons of zinc canning lids and 1959 license tag for something. There is definately stuff there it's a matter of finding those hidden little niches that are clean. I'm seriously considering getting that rolling magnet thing from HF and a Iron descriminate MD, there just too much bog iron around here it's everywhere! This area was the main source for it during the CW, Weymouth Furnace, Smithville Mansion and Batsto. It's an Iron lover's dream!!! 






