need some advice on pictures

mad.co.walker

Oct 28, 2010
madison county illinois
i have tried a few times to post my finds but the pictures are blurry or the flash seems to make the points too shiney. ive turned off the flash and turned on some brighter lights but nothing seems to work. is there a trick to this !!! id love to have my pics turn out like most tneters but cant seem to find the right exposure. any help with this would be great thanks. steve. the camera im using is a fuji 7.0 .

Upvote 0
First off, set your camera on the macro position, which is the one that looks like a flower. Turn off your flash and use other lighting or take them outside and use direct sunlight. Try setting them on a nonreflective surface like a towel, preferably a darker color. Don't try holding them in your hand because your camera will probably focus on your hand and not the artifact. I try to get to at least 12 to 15 inches from the piece I'm photographing, but sometimes you may have to pull back just a bit to get the best shot. If you practice this for a while you can get some really nice shots of your artifacts.

Turn macro on, flash set to on and use something for a diffuser. a white Styrofoam cup works well. cut squares large enough to cover the flash. start with one square and stack them until you get the shot you want. experiment, you will be surprised what you do with a little testing. keep records of your test, so that when you review the photos, you'll know what you did to achieve that shot. Try the previous post tips too. just write down what you did on each photo. if your camera has iso settings, try that too.
A very good photo editing software that is free.... GIMP Google it, works great...

Good Luck

thanks guys. if i cant get the desired picture i want i noticed that someone in the forum will make the adjustments for me. is that possible. i have a few really nice artifacts flintchaser and i have found here and really want to share them. i have a collection that my great grandfather had. points he and his brother found when they worked for the railroad. they are awesome. ill try to post them this week. thanks again for all your help. steve. :notworthy: :headbang:

mad.co.walker said:
thanks guys. if i cant get the desired picture i want i noticed that someone in the forum will make the adjustments for me. is that possible. i have a few really nice artifacts flintchaser and i have found here and really want to share them. i have a collection that my great grandfather had. points he and his brother found when they worked for the railroad. they are awesome. ill try to post them this week. thanks again for all your help. steve. :notworthy: :headbang:
if you can't get the photos to look as you'd like, send your best photos to me. i will try to touch them up for you and resize them for posting on the forum. send to: [email protected]

Use the macro setting on your camera like the others suggested. A mini tripod helps with the shakiness. You should also have an ISO setting in the menu of your camera. If the light is too yellow turn it up and vise versa. Here's a link that might help you out a little. I've did the same and are now practicing different techniques. :headbang: http://www.studiolighting.net/homemade-light-box-for-product-photography/

Sometimes I use a different method. I back off maybe 18-24 inches and use the auto setting intead of Macro. I also use the highest resolution the camera offers. Then I use the crop feature on my photo editing software. Finally, I resize the picture so the maximum measurement is 900 pixels.

Attachments

• metal point 1.JPG
    metal point 1.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 159
  • metal point 2.JPG
    metal point 2.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 153
thanks everyone for your advice. i tried them all and finally got the pictures i wanted with the outdoor lighting. will hopefully have them posted before the weekend. thanks also to TNETER that will help with my postings. ill need help cause i never have posted anything yet. :notworthy: :notworthy:

fyrffytr1 said:
Sometimes I sue a different method. I back off maybe 18-24 inches and use the auto setting intead of Macro. I also use the highest resolution the camera offers. Then I use the crop feature on my photo editing software. Finally, I resize the picture so the maximum measurement is 900 pixels.

Excellant advise. I like it better than macro

Attachments

• DSC_4650.jpg
    DSC_4650.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 134

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back