Need some expert eyes

Curbut

May 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven't posted for awhile but took some time yesterday to return to an old site that I've searched many times in the past. It continues to produce random iron, pennies, etc but I did find what appears to be one-half of a colonial spanish reale. It's time-period correct for this site but it almost seems too perfect. Very minimal wear for a 200+ year old coin. I've attached the initial pics. Any thoughts from those more versed than I?

Attachments

• side 1.JPG
    side 1.JPG
    295.6 KB · Views: 126
  • side2.JPG
    side2.JPG
    273.2 KB · Views: 104
Upvote 21

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like the real deal to me. Amazing find. Congrats on the cut Spanish silver!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes real, early 1700s type - congrats

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow, definitely real...congratulations! :occasion14:

The condition is amazing...:icon_thumleft:

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah buddy. A real in good condition. SWEET!

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a winner. Huge congrats!!! 🙌

OP
OP
C

Curbut

May 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven't posted for awhile but took some time yesterday to return to an old site that I've searched many times in the past. It continues to produce random iron, pennies, etc but I did find what appears to be one-half of a colonial spanish reale. It's time-period correct for this site but it almost seems too perfect. Very minimal wear for a 200+ year old coin. I've attached the initial pics. Any thoughts from those more versed than I?

UPDATE: This is what is/was known as a "pistareen" Minted in Spain for domestic use as the silver content was not the same as the reales used in international trade at the time. Despite the fact that they were for homegrown use only, thousands were imported to "the colonies" mainly through Virginia and central atlantic region. They were commonly cut to make change; halves and quarters. This one is probably minted in about 1721 as that's when the great majority of these were produced. Anyway, this is probably my oldest find. Way cool.

PEles

Apr 20, 2009
Lowcountry, South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus !
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My buddy found one just like it.You could still see partial date 25 .Definitely 1725 , pretty find congrats ��

Got-Good-Tones

Mar 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE: This is what is/was known as a "pistareen" Minted in Spain for domestic use as the silver content was not the same as the reales used in international trade at the time. Despite the fact that they were for homegrown use only, thousands were imported to "the colonies" mainly through Virginia and central atlantic region. They were commonly cut to make change; halves and quarters. This one is probably minted in about 1721 as that's when the great majority of these were produced. Anyway, this is probably my oldest find. Way cool.

Should look about like the picture provided...

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a fantastic save and in beautiful condition. Congrats

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013