Need some help dating this button

Jul 7, 2020
Vermont
Detector(s) used
An old radio shack, simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this button today by an old mill sight near my house. I am trying to date the mill so if I can date this button that would be grate. I wasn?t sure about it because the shank has this build up of metal around it (this is not the best way of saying this but I hope you can get what I mean from the photos) which I hadn?t seen on others like this. No back mark or design visible and it is in very bad condition. Thanks for any help with this! image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep, need to clean it up. age can be told by shank and back mark lettering style

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Vermont treasure hunter
Jul 7, 2020
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I cleaned up the back with my Andres Pencils and, if there was a back mark, it is gone. I do not see anything on the back of this. image.jpg

Upvote 0

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a Tombac button to me. Copper/zinc/arsenic alloy, 1770 to 1810, the approximate time period of manufacture.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Vermont treasure hunter
Jul 7, 2020
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a Tombac button to me. Copper/zinc/arsenic alloy, 1770 to 1810, the approximate time period of manufacture.

Thanks! The zinc would explain the deterioration! When I frost found it I thought to Tombac button but the level of deterioration made me think other wise but now that I have cleaned it a bit more I can see much more of the more classic white/silver-y metal.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kray is correct on the age, and it might be a tad older also.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread