Need some help from you Missouri

razor

Apr 29, 2007
Sorry I've not posted much in the last few weeks. Long story short, I've moved an elderly lady back and forth from Omaha to Texas and back in the last three weeks. Kind of a sad story that goes with it and she really needs your prayers. At any rate, I spoted this drill in an antiques store on the trip down. I started to go ahead and pick it up, but opted not to... spent the next three weeks kicking myself for it. So on the way back up I couldn't help it. I picked it up for a song, so I'm not worried about having been taken for it, but it was only marked as a "flint drill". It resembles a scotty, but I'm not sure. A friend of mine, who has been doing this for a lot longer than I have thinks it might be a ?Grand?, but he's not willing to throw the scotty label out. It was found in ?Hoit? Co. MO. The county name was not well written so I'm not sure and would appreciate imput on that as well. Any help on typology would be great and most appreciated. Thanks in advanced, Ray

FlingPtA.jpg

FlintPtB.jpg

Upvote 0

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
I agree with your "friend who's been doing this a long time", it very well could be a Grand point. Unfortunately, 75%+ of the complete points we find have been resharpened to near exhaustion. By doing so, they often lose the traits that make them identifiable. In this case, I think it's more likely that it is a Grand point than a Scottsbluff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions